10 Ways to be the Girl EVERYONE Knows on Campus (And Make Friends in the Process)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So…I’ll admit. I talk…a LOT. But hey, I can’t help it! It’s why I’m so passionate about my speech therapy major! But not everybody has the same burning urge to strike up a conversation with anyone with a pulse. I noticed that I have the capability to talk to a wall when all my friends on campus make fun of me for recognizing and saying hi to someone every single place I go.

One of the greatest things about college is that there is no such thing as the “popular” crowd. Everyone’s cool with each other despite differences. When you run into someone you know or even just met one time, it makes the school feel more unified, like a family, and you feel like you belong in several groups and everywhere you go. So, you really don’t have to be the most social butterfly, just remember that everyone has something special they can offer to a potential new friend and here’s how!

1. Compliment strangers…seriously!
I find myself doing it all the time. Who doesn’t love to hear that a random person totally admires your outfit, or new earrings, or awesome dance moves?? Sometimes, to a person, it means even more coming from someone they have never met before. Also, I don’t mean making up bogus lies for the person just to get noticed. I told myself that this year I was going to start telling people what I liked about them if the thought even crossed my mind for just a second. Why only tell it to yourself? If you let others know that you think they look nice, or that they just told the funniest joke you’ve ever heard, they will remember you and think of you as that girl who was so sweet. It really could strike up a conversation and you might end up becoming really good friends eventually!

2. Say hi to that kid you met a year ago!
It can be so hard to keep in touch with your old lab partner from two semesters ago that you had so much fun with back then. A good way to keep in touch is to wave or say hi to them whenever you pass by each other. Or, just shoot them a text when something randomly reminds you of them. People don’t just drop you out of your mind when you stop having classes together. If you two were good friends then, chances are you’ll make them smile right away when they see that text is from you. I still say hi to kids I met back at freshmen orientation just passing by! It makes the school feel like a smaller, more unified community surrounded by familiar faces. If they don’t remember you, you just made them smile anyway!

3. Transform class from your nap location to a meet up with your circle of friends
Why not have a group of people in class you can study with instead of stressing over that statistics exam by yourself? If you don’t know anybody in your class, don’t sweat it. It can be really easy to find things in common with the person sitting next to you. You two might be in the same major, and if not learning about theirs can get you guys talking for hours. Ask them questions and make sure to contribute your opinions too. Then getting to know them can be a breeze! Being friendly in class definitely has its benefits. Getting a study group together has helped me immensely in each and every class. Exchange numbers with the people you get to know and soon enough you’ll all be acing the supposed “hardest stats test ever.” Pshh you got this!

4. Realize that everyone has a story to tell
Don’t ever exclude someone based on the first thing to come out of their mouth. Sometimes, a person just has a bad day and isn’t really in the mood to talk much. Giving people chances is one of the keys to making new friends. Everyone has something interesting they can contribute or that you can learn from them. Keep an open mind, that person may become your good friend later on.

5. GET INVOLVED!
I cannot stress this enough. Schools offer what seems like millions of opportunities to be involved such as clubs, volunteering activities, Greek life, sports, and so much more. Set yourself a goal to try something new each semester that gets yourself feeling more connected to your school. You’ll be surprised at how much you love that sign language club or intramural water polo! Doing things that you wouldn’t think you would have been interested in can be so much fun. You discover in yourself new interests and it can really open up your mind to a new hobby that could become lifelong. Making yourself happy is the best way to make a new friend. If others see how much you are enjoying the new club or sports team, that draws them in to thinking of how great of a person you are. Try to choose to be involved in different types of extracurricular activities because then you will broaden your scope of meeting different people.

6. Take an exercise class
This can be one of the smartest things you do on campus. Not only are you getting healthier, but you get to work out among your peers who are in the same boat as you are. Most of the people in the class have never met any of your other classmates. So, everyone is willing to meet all the people they’ll be sparring with later on if you’re taking kickboxing, or just dancing next to if you’re taking Zumba. When I exercise, I find myself happier during the work out as well as excited for it beforehand. When everyone is in a good mood, it can be the perfect time to make friends with any type of person. Let them know how much fun it was for you to do last class’s hip hop routine or beat up that punching bag. You never know, you can find yourselves giggling over anything in no time.

7. Get to know your neighbors
It’s important to know who’s living around you. It just makes you feel more at home to know that the people living right next door are willing to smile at you at any time. Last year, most of my floormates and I grew so close that we are all still best friends a year later. It can really be worth it in the end to know the person living right down the hall is someone you can trust.

8. Going out:
Again, I always find myself complimenting girls’ dresses or those 7-inch heels I could never walk in. It can be really simple to make a friend for the night since everyone is in the mood to socialize. The whole point of going out with your friends is to have a great time. So, why not branch out a little bit in the process?

9. Take the opportunity!
Get used to saying “yes” a lot more often. Go to a football game, see a museum, explore the amazing zoo, try out that fab new restaurant downtown. Interesting people visit interesting sites. You never will find yourself bored when trying out a new experience while making friends at the same time.

10. Most importantly: never try to be someone you’re not
People will love you for who you are on the inside. Let your personality shine and others will respect your genuine character. Don’t let impressing others be your goal. You should want to get to know people so that you can enhance their lives with all you have to offer. In return, they will make your life a little happier each and every time you get the chance to talk with that person. Remember, keeping conversations positive makes you feel happier inside and also brightens others days as well.  

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.