Girl Asks Guy: Valentines Day Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Although Valentine’s Day is typically a feminine holiday, guys have their own opinions on it too! To get a better idea of their perspective on Valentine’s Day, I decided to ask my guy friends what their thoughts were about this romantic holiday.

How old are you?

Aiden: 18

Nick: 18

Brendan: 20

Are you currently in a relationship?

Aiden: No.

Nick: Yes.

Brendan: No.

What day of the month is Valentine’s Day?

Aiden: The 14th of February.

Nick: February 14th.

Brendan: Um, February 14th. The day Lincoln was shot. [Note: This is not at all true. Abraham Lincoln was shot on April 14th.]

Who really was Saint Valentine?

Aiden: He was the guy who was marrying all of the Christian couples, but society was against that so then they killed Saint Valentine because he was marrying all of the Christian couples.

Nick: Ah sh*t. I’m not sure if it’s from the bible or it’s sort of just a thing that someone came up with along the way. Is Cupid the child of St. Valentine? Is Cupid the embodiment of St. Valentine? I really don’t know.

Brendan: Saint Valentine was a man who did weddings in secret when arranged marriages were the norm. I’m pretty sure it was in Greece because some people still wanted to marry for love. Wait, no. He was writing a letter to someone and the woman wrote “to my valentine.” I was thinking about the How I Met Your Mother bit.

What do boys actually want for Valentine’s Day?

Aiden: Gift cards are always nice. Flowers can be nice.

Nick: Um, well I can only speak for myself. I’d like for someone to take the time to ask me what my favorite candy is and get me some of that, maybe some of that, a little note, and a kiss on the cheek.

Brendan: Uh, a date?

When was the last time you had a Valentine?

Aiden: Last year.

Nick: Last February.

Brendan: When was middle school?

What is your ideal Valentine’s Day like?

Aiden: Wake up, have a nice breakfast or brunch, obviously have someone to spend it with, and just spend a nice day having some food and relaxing sounds nice.

Nick: I’d like to receive a present and I’d like to give a present to a lady, er, my lady. Hopefully she’ll enjoy it. Maybe make a meal together and enjoy that with some sparkling cider or something like that. Just a chill night inside with good food and love.

Brendan: Um, hm, let me think about that. (long pause) Sorry, let me think about this. (an even longer pause) Cuddling up on a couch and watching Blazing Saddles.

How many Valentine’s Day cards, on average, do you think are exchanged each year? [Real Answer: 114 million.]

Aiden: I’m going to say 1.6 million. That’s my bold answer.

Nick: 55 million… That’s not even it, it’s much more than that. What’s the real answer?

Brendan: Does that include all of the kids and adults that have to give cards to everyone? 3 billion.

What do you think is the most popular Valentine’s Day symbol?

Aiden: The heart.

Nick: The heart, duh. What?

Brendan: Probably a heart.

Is Valentine’s Day really a Hallmark Holiday?

Aiden: Hallmark. I mean, what does that even mean, Hallmark Holiday? Yeah I guess, I mean, yeah.

Nick: What? I am not the authority on this. Um, yeah I mean what is it? I enjoy it, but it’s kind of just there. I don’t know. It’s nice. You know, there’s pink everywhere and candy. But yeah, I think someone just made it up along the way into what it is today.

Brendan: A Hallmark Holiday? I think Hallmark has associated themselves with it in order for people to buy more Hallmark things, but you could say the same about Christmas.

Do you have a Valentine for this year?

Aiden: What’s today? Maybe, we will see. When I go back to school, maybe I will.

Nick: I don’t know. I hope my girlfriends going to be mine. Chances are, I do.

Brendan: I hope I do.

Which celebrity would you pick to be your Valentine and what pick-up line would you use to invite them to be “yours?”

Aiden: Um, you know, I almost saw Alfie Allen, by almost I mean I passed him in the street and didn’t say hello. He is in Game of Thrones and his character is Theon Greyjoy. Um, “Hey Alfie, you don’t have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but you’ll be my star baby. Will you be my valentine?” *wink*

Nick: Zooey Deschanel. “Who’s that girl? It’s my Valentine’s date.” OR! “I loved you in Yes Man.” OR! “You were my iPod Touch wallpaper back in 2011.” OR! “Nice bangs.”

Brendan: Amy Adams. I don’t know, probably…I’m not good at pickup lines. Probably some weird poem about Pokémon. Probably, “Out of all 500 I’d choose you.” I don’t know…how many Pokémon are there?

*Disclaimer: Names have been changed for anonymity.*

Cora Burns

Jefferson '20

Trying to figure it out and writing about it as I go.