February -Thrift Shopping Haul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

New year, new me, new clothes.  As a fashion major, I get the itch to shop a lot.  Sadly, since I am a college student, I can’t afford to feed my appetite for clothes if I shop full price.  Luckily, I’m also a connoisseur of vintage and gently used apparel, so it’s a win-win situation for me.  I recently started an internship at Philly Aids Thrift, so I’m in resale heaven lately.  Here are some things I’ve bought there, and at the Attic in Manayunk over the past few weeks.   

These borderline ridiculous shoes were from the $2 shoe section at PAT.  They weren’t in the best shape when I bought them, but with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser they were good as new.  I wore them for the first time recently, and I only rolled my ankle twice, so I’m calling that a win. 

This top, along with the next few items, were from the $5 bag sale at the Attic.  Every few months they set aside items in bins all around the store, and you can fill a grocery bag with as much as it can hold for $5.  Usually, you really have to dig to get good stuff, but if you can find something, it’s a great deal.  I loved this denim top because of the floral embroidery.

I’ve been wanting a sleeveless turtleneck for a while because I think they look very chic.  The brand of this sweater is 525 America, which is actually a brand we sell at the boutique I work at in my hometown.  I own a few sweaters from them already and whereas they are a little pricey, they are great quality. 

My roommate, Nika, had originally picked up this jacket for herself, but decided it wasn’t her style.  I think it will be a great, lightweight jacket for spring.

This Anthropologie skirt is my soulmate, but unfortunately it’s about two sizes too small.  I just couldn’t leave it behind, it’s too cute.  I’m hoping that I can sew some panels of different floral fabric onto each side to give it the extra few inches I need, and also make it a little bit funkier.  It’s pictured here on my roommate, Rose.  Aren’t her shoes adorable?

Rose fished the top bag out of one of the bins at the Attic for me.  She knows me too well.  I think it’s so adorable, and although it’s too small to be an actual purse, I will definitely be able to use it for travelling.  The bottom bag was purchased at PAT for $2.  It’s blue velvet, which makes it perfect for a special occasion or night out.

I’m always on the lookout for fun t-shirts depicting my favorite bands or movies.  They’re great to wear on a weekend day when just hanging out with friends or running errands.  The Lost Boys was a favorite movie of my mom’s growing up and now it’s one of mine.  It’s well-worn in, so it’s super soft and comfy.

This bag was definitely an impulse buy, but I love it so much.  I’ve had it for a few weeks and I’ve already carried it so many times.  I just love the vintage vibes it gives off.

This sweater is another PAT find.  It was $9.  I just love the crazy embellishment and it totally reminds me of the 80’s, which is my favorite era of fashion.

These shoes are the icing on the cake for so many reasons, but most of all because they were FREE.  While I was at my internship on Sunday, I saw these set aside.  I’ve been on the lookout for fuzzy shoes since the Fall, so I immediately asked about them.  Turns out, they were going to throw them away, so I got them for free!  This style is so in right now and I can’t wait to wear them in the Spring.

Photo Credits: Ashby Steen 

I am a sophomore Fashion Merchandising major from the eastern shore of Maryland. My interests include books, fashion, music, and movies.