Sit with Us app

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

This article discusses a new app called Sit with Us. The app’s purpose is to create a safe way for bullied kids to find a table at lunch. The creator was bullied at one point in time and didn’t have anywhere to sit at lunch and felt isolated. The app allows people to signal that people can sit with them if they have nowhere else to go. It’s supposed to help kids with no place to find people without embarrassment.

I was bullied or ignored for most of my schooling and I don’t like the idea. The app is a great idea. It’s a great concept. I just think the execution of the idea leaves a little to be desired.

Bullied kids come with all types of backgrounds. Some are shy. Others stand out for the wrong reasons. This could appeal to the quieter kids who just want to appear with other kids. I don’t think this app works well for people who are looking to be included in a conversation or possibly make friends. Appearing that you aren’t alone isn’t enough for a person. Being unwanted but able to sit with people feel like you are alone in every way but appearance.

The app can work as long as the user can filter out and find those who have good interests at heart. My fear is that people will try to look like good people and use the app but really want nothing to do with the person who sits down aside of them. My other concern is for kids who have special needs. Those needs can make the person socially awkward. They may not understand that people are letting them sit just to make a jerk out of the person. I know people who would have a difficult time with this.

I think the app can work but there needs to be a screening process for users. I think a survey of what they are looking to get out of it by both parties would be beneficial.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.