For The Kids, Always and Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Ever since I was a freshman in high school, I had always wished I could be a member of THON. Every year I watched the videos and was in awe of how much love and dedication there was from one student body; I couldn’t wait to be a part of it. THON 2012 was a life changing experience for me, and if you’ve never gone up for THON weekend I highly suggest you do. Walking into the Bryce Jordan Center was magical; the arena looked like a rainbow. Every section had signs to show support for their dancers and for their organization or campus, but it was clear we were ALL Penn State Proud. 

At 6 pm we all stood, getting ready to endure the 46 hour dance marathon to fight pediatric cancer, and ready to cheer on the 700+ dancers on the floor. I commend each and every one of the dancers for standing the entire 46 hours; it’s truly an amazing feat. I stood for about 36-38 hours, and I certainly felt the effects. I was tired, I was in pain, but when the dancers say that seeing the THON kids make them feel better, they aren’t lying. Seeing Natalie, one of our THON kids, always made me feel better and kept me going, especially when she would run over and hug me. Seeing the kids puts everything into perspective, reminding us why we are there. 

The entire BJC was bursting with love, emotion, and pride the entire weekend, no matter what time it was. The pep rally on Saturday truly got us pumped, and the BJC hit full capacity. We all danced and cheered on the athletes of our school as they got our energy up to levels I didn’t even know existed. But I have to say my favorite part was the last four hours of THON. Seeing the Four Diamonds Families walk across the stage really hit home with me. I thought to myself, ‘Wow, look at all the families cancer has affected.’ Listening to the families who still had children made me so happy, and listening to the families who had lost someone truly broke my heart. Watching the ‘Where Are They Now’ video made me proud that we had a part in saving their lives, and watching the ‘Angels Among Us’ video had me hysterically crying. I wish for a day where that video doesn’t have anymore angels to add, and that the survivors video is so long it lasts even longer. 

Being at THON made me realize how much of an impact we truly are making. The two THON families I have had the pleasure of meeting, the Swopes and the Biancones, still have their children because of US, because of Penn State, because of THON. Their children beat cancer, and to know I am a part of something that has THAT kind of significant impact just gives me overwhelming joy. Even though I am transferring, there is no doubt in my mind I will be up at State again next year for THON 13. Even if I have to beg and save money just for the trip, I know it will be worth it and I wouldn’t miss it for anything. 

THON is about coming together and performing selfless acts for those in need, even if you don’t know them, even if you never meet them. I may never meet any of the kids we’ve helped over the years, but I know that because I gave money, because I canned in the cold, because I went to a fundraiser or helped out at an event, because I stood in the BJC for as many hours as I possibly could, they are ALIVE, they are WELL, and they are going to grow up to be the best they can be. The memories and experiences I have gotten from THON this year are priceless, and I would endure it all again because it will always be For The Fight, For The Cure, and For The Kids. <3
Lauren is a Journalism major studying at Penn State Berks for the first two years of college, then at Temple University the remaining two. She's a native of Lancaster, Pa and hopes to live in New York City after graduating. In the future, she plans to incorporate a minor of Music Technology and gear her career toward music journalism. She enjoys writing lyrics and poetry in her spare time, and works at Victoria's Secret PINK.