This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

HC: What’s your major and why?:

Gina Nguyen: “I am a Professional Writing (PW) major because I felt that the major itself was so broad [and] there was so many different directions you could take. I was attracted to it because I know I could do marketing or public relations or advertising… After taking some courses in the PW curriculum, you start to take value in writing. Writing is important in ALL professions and it is definitely a transferrable skill.”

HC: What’s your minor and why?:

GN: “I am a civic and community engagement, also known as CIVCM. It’s not a well-known minor through other campuses. I chose this minor because I took the intro class for it and that class really introduced me to numerous different outlets, meaning I did a lot of community based research with the members of Reading. I facilitated story circles and I collaborated a lot with those community members in Reading. I thought the experiences that I have gained in the minor really has brought a lot of opportunities for me.”

HC: What do you want to be?

GN: “I am a person that really likes to try new things. I am very open minded in that sense. Since I’m graduating, I’m interested in the public relations field and marketing. I’m a member of the PRSSA club at Berks and I feel like it’s a very notable organization. I definitely want to use my writing skills after acquiring my skills because they can take me far in life, no matter what profession.

“My plan B is going off to grad school for OT. I am currently working on a piece with my colleagues on the importance of writing. My piece is about writing in occupational therapy. I think it’s really important to discuss the importance of writing in the field. I’d like to see how it plays out into the field. There’s been a lot of studies I’ve found that talk about being an OT and discus the required skills that I need but they don’t really involve writing skills.”

HC: How do you feel about graduating?

GN: “I graduate in May. I feel bittersweet about graduation because I’m excited to finally get out there and be done with school. However, I will miss the friends I gained along the way and the professors. It will definitely be differnet not being in the school setting anymore.”

HC: Tell me about you and fashion:

GN: “A lot of people tell me to write about fashion. I think it’s pretty awesome but I like fashion and so does every other girl in the entire universe. I love skincare and makeup and that’s my thing. I like styling people.”

HC:  Tell me about your work with the Downtown Improvement District

GN: “I interned at Public Works. I just recently started at DID. I collect news clipping online regarding DID. I collect and catalog electric news clipping and I maintain social media (Facebook and Twitter). I connect with the local business in reading for bi-monthly newsletters. I help with writing and editing the newsletter. When I was up in Public Works, I did technical writing.”

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.