Coordinator of Shadows of Birds: Melissa Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

THE BASICS

Name: Melissa Davis

Year: Senior

Major: Professional Writing

Hometown: Philadelphia

On-Campus Activities: SOB/CORE, Writing Center

ALL ABOUT THE CLUB

Briefly explain what Shadows of Birds is:

Shadows of Birds is an e-magazine for students at Penn State Berks geared toward students to allow them the opportunity to get published and create a space for the literary community. Our website is sobcore.wordpress.com.

If someone were to attend a Shadows of Birds event, what should they expect:

If you attend a SOB event expect the unexpected! Be prepared to enjoy yourself, meet people you didn’t think you’d meet and didnt know already. Be prepared to be enlightened and educated while enjoying light refreshments.

What kind of events does Shadows of Birds host:

Shadows of Birds hosts coffeehouses. At these coffeehouses attendees can participate in writing prompts that will help get your creativity flowing and an open mic which gives students the opportunity to read their own work and have it heard. If you want to attend a coffeehouse but don’t want to read, that’s fine! Come and listen and enjoy the snacks and drinks.

Upcoming Shadows of Birds events:

**Shadows of Birds: Coffeehouse**

When: Monday, November 10 during common hour (1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.)

Where: Freyberger Gallery in the Perkins Student Center

What: Writing prompts, open mic, light refreshments

Special Guest: Kenneth Fifer

**Shadows of Birds: Coffeehouse and Unveiling**

When: Wednesday, December 10 during common hour (1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.)

What: Writing prompts, open mic, light refreshments, unveiling of Shadows of Birds print edition

Special guests: Dr. Murillo, Professor De Senso, Dr. Fifer, Professor Whitaker.

Anything else you want to say about Shadows of Birds:

SOB continues to grow as a visible and established organization on campus. The magazine is a force and we look forward to many more years promoting and encouraging the creativity it inspires.

Also, this semester the issue will be in print! Send your submissions to sobcore@gmail.com for a chance to get them published in the print edition!

Attendees from the last Coffeehouse participating in writing prompts

MORE ABOUT MELISSA

Why you chose to attend Penn State Berks: I wanted a small community where you could get to know people of all walks of life in a space that allowed me the freedom to grow

Something on your bucket list: I want to develop my own community – a place where everybody knows that I was the foundder – a space open to all types of knowledge of the world and different forms of education in different mediums and differe ways

Describe yourself in 3 words: activist, innovator and according to this week’s Campus Cutie, twerkalicious

You can have dinner with one person dead or alive who do you choose: Someone who is unknown to the world who has contributed to the progression of the black community

Favorite quote or life motto: “Practice what you preach”  

What are your plans after graduation: Going into the military (aifforce, active duty)

Follus us @HCpsuBerks
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.