New York Women in Communications Student Career Conference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

A day surrounded by fellow collegiates, industry professionals, and the most inspiring girl bosses; what more can you ask for?

Taking the industry by storm, New York Women in Communications, a non-for-profit organization that brings women throughout the New York Metropolitan Area in communication fields together, delivered their annual Student Career Conference on Saturday, November 5th at the beautiful Kimmel Center of New York University. Attended by 200+ collegiate women, the event showed the power that is the women involved in the communications industry and the influence our generation has in the field in the present, as well as in the future.

Giving collegiates the greatest opportunity to here from as many panelists as possible, the day was divided into three different breakout sessions, each with three different panels to choose from. Speaking on each panel were women all from varying media companies such as BuzzFeed, Time Inc., Cosmopolitan, Refinery 29, Google, and more. With a focus on how these women got to where they are now, each panelist was able to give a unique story and point of view on what steps they took to allow them to succeed. With great successes, however, comes great failure; the panelists also took the time to discuss the challenges she encountered in her path to career success, as well as what they did to overcome and come out victorious. In hopes of giving the students the best advice and guidance possible so that we may be successful in our careers, the panelists also strived to be as transparent and honest as possible with all answers. Sharing what they wish they would have done differently and what they “wish they knew when” was a major part of each discussion, giving us the tools and insight that we will need if- and when- we encounter similar situations in our career paths.

Offering further insight into a career in communications and the lessons learned while there were keynote speakers at the morning breakfast and afternoon lunch. Keynote speakers Liz Perle, alumna of Huffington Post and Instagram, began the morning with her empowering message on the way our generation can- and must continue to- change the face of the communications industry. Liz shared her passion for our rising generation to take hold of our talents and go confidently in the direction of our dreams. Brittany Masalosalo- Special Assistant in the Vice President’s National Security Affairs Office- gave the lunch keynote address, yearning for us to embrace hard work and taking on the risks and challenges that will ultimately lead us to our greatest success and reaching fullest potential. Nothing made me want to get out of my seat and run to get to working more than hearing these amazing women speak!

The day ended with a panel of four amazing women in the communications industry, all holding senior and executive positions in her company or corporation. Each shared her advice for all of us beginning our careers in the communications field and how to make the most out of each and every experience and opportunity we are given. Hearing from women who have years of experience in the industry and who have created a name for themselves through their amazing work allowed for all in attendance to understand the passion and perseverance needed to be successful in the communications field. Through their words, sparks of motivation ignited in all the collegiates in attendance, giving us a new perception of how to begin our journey in this industry loved by so many. The best way to learn is by watching those before us, and if these ladies were any insight of what should strive to be, I am more than ready to follow in their footsteps, one day walking with them side-by-side!

The New York Women In Communications Student Career Conference gave collegiates from all over the New York Metropolitan Area a chance to come together and experience a day of passion, inspiration, and knowledge that could not be found anywhere else. This Conference gave collegiates an amazing opportunity to connect with others who share similar career goals and interests, network with industry professionals in companies that many dream to work for, and learn from those who are yearning to share their knowledge with our younger generation, so that we may be more successful, more powerful women in the communications field. It was impossible to leave without feeling a new fire motivating us to pursue our dreams and passions fearlessly!

The essence of the day was to be BOLD in our pursuits and create the future we want for ourselves. And that is exactly what women in this industry need to remember. (For me, this started right away, exchanging business cards with the panelists from Cosmo, Refinery 29, and Google. Be bold and fearless was the message, right?)

NYWICI supports women across the full spectrum of the rapidly changing communications landscape and at every career stage — from student to C-suite. Membership is made up of students, professionals at entry levels, mid-career stages and top management, as well as growing numbers of entrepreneurs.  As various communication channels and disciplines continue to converge, NYWICI is uniquely positioned to help our members navigate every aspect of the industry and connect with other women in diverse fields, including print and digital media, broadcasting, marketing, advertising, video and content creation. To find out more, visit their website at nywici.org.

Monica is a student at Pace University in New York, New York studying Communications and Journalism. Along with Her Campus, Monica works as a contributing writer for Spire & Co. Exploring New York City and finding the perfect place to brunch are just a couple of things you can find her doing when not in class or writing. Find Monica on Twitter and Instagram: @MonicaRColino 
Hi! My name is Jacqueline and I am a senior communication studies major with minors in business and women and gender studies at Pace University. I am the president / campus correspondent for the Her Campus Pace Chapter and the president of the production club PopTV. I am a Hufflepuff and lover of all things Harry Potter! Also, I am a HUGE Marvel fan! When I am not writing and leading Her Campus, I like to spend my time reading, watching Netflix, and singing every song that comes on Spotify.