This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Nobody does Halloween quite like NYC. But, with a happy Halloween come responsibilities! Where are you going, what are you wearing, who are you going with? There are so many choices, because there are so many Halloween activities in this city, and I’m here to cover every aspect of the holiday (even if your costume doesn’t).

Times Scare: Whether you’re someone who likes to party, or prefers to just hang with some friends and not get too crazy, there are plenty of diverse things to do in the city. Not everyone is so lucky to go to school in one of the most idolized cities worldwide, so we should take advantage of it! First and foremost- haunted houses. The best of the best is in the place that all New Yorkers avoid at all costs… Times Square. It’s called Times Scare (A+ for the pun) and is located at W42nd Street and 8th Avenue; hours on this attraction can be found here.

Rocky Horror Picture Show: If you are a Rocky Horror Picture Show lover, it is playing starting this Thursday, October 29th until Halloween at Bow Tie Chelsea Cinemas and AMC Empire 25. 

Costume Party: This Friday, October 30th, there will be a Halloween party called “Come as you are/Express Yourself (another A+ for the Nirvana/Madonna references) ‘80s and ‘90s costume party at Littlefield Performance and Art Space in Brooklyn, more information can be found on their Facebook page.

Greenwich Village Parade: Lastly there is the famous Halloween costume Greenwich Village Parade that starts from 6th Avenue North of Spring Street to 16th Street from 7:00pm to 10:30pm. You can also tune in to TV NY-1 to watch from home.

As college students, we’re pretty much free to come and go as we please, and make 95% of our own decisions without consulting our parents and Halloween is no exception. We can wear whatever we want without worrying about our parent’s opinions and judgments. As women, there is a lot of pressure to be “sexy” this holiday. There is so much pressure that “sexy nun” costumes are now available…

Some of us are totally comfortable with this expectation and will go out and buy that “sexy” costume, but not everyone is— and if you aren’t comfortable, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! A general rule of thumb is not to be something totally basic like a cat dressed in lingerie with some ears. Halloween is a fun excuse to go all out, so hit up sites like Pinterest and YouTube for some different ideas and unique makeup tutorials. General rules include…

1. Don’t take your sexy costume too far; nobody likes to be catcalled by strangers who think your clothing is an invitation to do so (even though that’s NO excuse)
  2. Don’t waste your money on a cheaply made costume from Halloween Connection or one of those other Halloween stores! Remember that while the city is glamorous, we are extra broke college students because of it. 

So whether you decide to go sexy or cover up, just remember to be careful. You can still have fun while not being wasted and if you are drinking, keep an eye on your drink to make sure nobody slips anything in there.

Stay safe and Happy Halloween!

Hallie is a Junior at Pace University studying Communications with a double minor in Creative Writing and Women's and Gender Studies. She loves coffee and yoga and hates writing in the third person. 
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.