Charlie and The Chocolate Factory: Broadway Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Review: 3.0/5 Stars

I have to admit, my inner child was so excited when I purchased tickets for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway. At $25, we scored the back row, which was perfectly fine with me.

The music was catchy and cute, perfect for kids and teens alike but overall, not my ultimate favorite. I have to say, the iconic Christian Borle as Wonka was amazing as usual and Veruca Salt and her father’s performances were striking as well. The Dylan’s Candy Car candy selection, and blue raspberry and cotton candy slushies at the concession stand were a perfect match for the play. 

Without giving away any spoilers, some things were very different from the movie which was a big disappointment. Violet, the bubble gum lover, and her adult accompaniment will definitely throw you for a loop as they try to fit in with the times in a corny way. The life size squirrels were terrifying and a rather gruesome scene that was definitely not kid friendly, was not appealing either. Not to mention, Charlie Bucket is missing a parent! The jokes lacked humor but overall, it was a cute show if you can score cheap tickets. If not, it’s a waste of your sugar. 

I am an elementary education and special education major with a minor in psychology at Pace University. I love singing, playing the guitar reading, writing, shopping, and eating. My dream in the world is to help kids with special needs and be there beacon of hope as well as to travel a lot to see what the world has to offer!