Will Huang ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity Will Huang! Will is a sophomore Econ major from Orange County who most likely sends you a lot of emails.

HC: I think many Oxy students would recognize you for your work with Senate. Could you elaborate on your role and recent work within the organization? 

WH: I work as the Vice President of External Affairs on ASOC Senate. I am in charge of Senate outreach and making sure students know we are there for them. Recently we had the General Assembly, as you know, and I was in charge of publishing or advertising the event. This past Thursday we sat and handed out ice cream to connect with constituents, and again let them know we’re here for them. Also I help with allocating the funds that go towards different clubs and organizations on campus. 

HC: Can you speak more on the General Assembly?

WH: We were discussing diversity and equity here on campus. Turnout was good, the entire Choi auditorium was filled. I think it was successful in that the attendance was good, and students were there to ask questions and get feedback. Dean Gonzalez, Dean Avery, and Vice President Cuseo were in attendance. Concerns were raised, and it was educational for everyone there. I really learned so much just from what was said at the Assembly. It brought up things we don’t hear everyday. So in terms of awareness it was successful, again. 

HC: So you personally thought the Assembly was successful. 

WH: The issues were relevant to me, but I was more about making sure the students had a space for them. It’s an ongoing discussion, and I’m glad we’re able to voice our concerns, and there are real concerns that the administration is able to address so it was successful in that sense. I can’t speak on the tangible success of the discussion because that remains to be seen. But overall I’m just glad the students had a space to voice their opinions. 

HC: I know you’re involved in many other areas on campus. Can you tell me about your work with Phi Beta Lambda?

WH: Sure. I’m the president of Phi Beta Lambda business chapter. This year we’ve spent a lot of time rebranding. The club looks very different from how it did last year. We’ve restructured, cut some e-board positions and added new relevant ones. We’ve quintupled our membership from the end of last year. 

HC: That’s impressive. For those who don’t know, explain some of PBL’s activities on Oxy’s campus? 

WH: We’re focusing more on the job search side. We want to give back to campus, and not everyone is interested in business but it’s important to be prepared for life after graduation, so events have been centered around building skills for interviews, LinkedIn, etc. Our main interest is making sure we’re accessible to students of all backgrounds, that’s why a majority of our events are open to the entire campus, and providing tools for success after graduation. I’m glad to see our work has been successful and we’re attending our first national conference in our chapter’s history this year.