Victoria Hasenfuss ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, executive director of Hyper Xpressions and president of Kappa Alpha Theta, Victoria Hasenfuss!

1. What year are you? 
I am a sophomore.

2. What’s your major?
I am a Sociology major and a Kinesiology minor.

3. What was your dance experience before Oxy? Why did you join Hyper Xpressions? What have you learned from being part of it?
I have been dancing since I was three years old. I started with the typical tap, jazz, and ballet trio, but my focus soon shifted to hip-hop and I’ve been dancing ever since! Dancing brings me so much joy. There is nothing more rewarding than working hard in the dance studio and getting the chance to share that with the community through performance. I love the team aspect. I have met some of my closest friends through dance and that’s not something I was willing to give up when entering a college environment. I wanted not only to be involved on campus, but more so to be involved with a group of people that shared my love for dance. I have learned so much from being a part of Hyper. Firstly, I have learned about dance itself because my peers have pushed me to move out of my comfort zone and try styles that I’m not necessarily comfortable with. Secondly, as a member of the executive board I have learned a great deal about Occidental’s administration, other student organizations, and the “business” aspects of managing an organization. Lastly, I have the privilege of working with an amazing group of bright, talented women at least three times a week, so I am constantly learning from them even when I don’t realize it.

4. Why did you join Kappa Alpha Theta? What’s your favorite part of being in Theta? What advice can you give to the girls who will be going through recruitment soon?
I joined Kappa Alpha Theta for many reasons. Initially, I went through recruitment because I wanted to be involved in another aspect of Oxy’s community. It didn’t take me long to realize that my opportunities as a member of Theta would be endless. I joined because I wanted to be surrounded by ambitious, strong, and caring individuals. In addition to meeting the amazing women of the Eta Mu chapter on my own campus, I’ve also gotten the chance to meet Thetas from all over the country. I value the fact that Theta is a national organization. It is because of this that I had the opportunity to attend a Leadership Conference this past summer where I met and collaborated with 300 Thetas from every single chapter nationally. My favorite part of being in Theta is the friendships that I have gained. Some of my closest friends at Occidental are women that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting through this organization and chances are I would not have met them otherwise. It is comforting to know that at the end of the day there are over 40 women you could go out to eat with, call for advice, or study with in the library. To the young women who will be participating in recruitment soon–I would encourage you to approach each evening with an open mind. Each organization has something special and unique to offer, so don’t make up your mind before you get to learn more about them all. Most importantly, have fun and take a deep breath. No matter what organization you end up with, recruitment is a great opportunity to get to know people in all of the organizations. Can’t wait to see you all on February 10th!

5. What has been your favorite moment at Oxy so far, in general?
I think my favorite moment at Oxy so far was when Hyper Xpressions performed our “Showcase Teaser” this past December in the quad. We worked really hard all semester and compiled some of our favorite pieces to show the community. It was a really fun, energy-filled performance and a lot of people showed up to watch and support us. It was the most fun I’ve had dancing in a while and I’m still thinking about it so clearly it made a lasting impression. Nothing better than shaking your stuff in the quad with some lovely ladies! Woohoo!