Studying Abroad: Packing Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Hey HC Oxy readers! My time abroad is quickly wrapping up, which is sad and scary and exciting and sad again. One thing I definitely want to talk about is PACKING, because I wish somebody had sat me down and given me some straight, practical advice about packing for abroad. At this point in the semester I’m pretty sick of my wardrobe options, but read on so you don’t befall the same fate!  

1. Think about seasons and weather.

Chances are, if you go abroad with a school program you’ll encounter at least two seasons. When I first arrived in Rome it was 90 degrees with 95% humidity, but now in November it’s chilly for most of my waking hours, especially because the sun sets so early. Rome also rains heavily and can be windy. Rain boots were not an option, since they took up too much valuable real estate in my suitcase, but I did bring weatherproofing spray for my leather shoes and a raincoat, which has already proved to be invaluable. Don’t forget an umbrella, a scarf, hats, a bag that will repel water, different weight shirts and pants, and any other items you might need for specific weather. 

2. Be strict with yourself. 

I struggle with choosing between my shoes and clothes, and I have favorite outfits that have specific items that I don’t reuse in other outfits. Packing enough for four months without packing too much or too little is a pretty tough thing to do! If you pack too little, you have to do a lot of expensive and unwieldy laundry. If you pack too much, your suitcases will be heavy (and incur extra fees) and it’ll be hard to move in and move out. I didn’t bring dresses that I knew I’d only wear once, and I only brought shoes I didn’t mind beating up. Even though it was hard to leave my beautiful things behind, some things in my closet are more useful than others. I had to be very strict with myself. Ask yourself if you really need something or not. Don’t do what I did and bring six pairs of shorts but two pairs of jeans. Also, I brought only three long-sleeve tops and really wish I’d brought more sweaters. Bring things that can do double duty – flats that are just as cute with skirts as they are with jeans, and bags you can take from night to day. If you can only wear something with one outfit, lose it!

3. Consider room furnishings.

Will you be in a dorm? A homestay? A hotel or even a convent? You may need extra blankets or pillows, extra clothes hangers, an alarm clock, extra towels, and a variety of other furnishings to stay comfortable in your new home. Talk to past program participants and program directors to get an idea of what students like to have in their living spaces.

4. Don’t forget toiletries.

Depending on the country and city, it can be hard to find your favorite shampoos and soaps. I actually brought all my own toiletries, enough for my first month, just so I wouldn’t have to spend my first day here buying toiletries while jetlagged. I am picky about things like soap, face wash, and makeup remover, so I brought those with me. I like a specific brand of contact solution, so I brought that too. Go through your bathroom routine so you don’t forget something you’ll want later! It can be a good idea to buy extras of your makeup too, in case you run out. I brought an extra pencil of eyeliner and enough lip glosses to last a few years. And talk to your doctor as soon as you can to get prescriptions extended and filled in advance. 

5. Fight homesickness proactively.

Bring photos of your family and friends, and bring wall tape that won’t peel off paint to stick them up. If you’re addicted to Reese’s Pieces, bring a few bags with you. If you need peanut butter to reach your happy place, pack a jar. The point is, bring whatever you need to feel comfortable in your new home.

6. Remember, you’re still a student!

Don’t forget enough notebooks, folders, pencils, pens, and highlighters! Each country has different standards for paper size and weight, and notebooks aren’t always spiral bound. I’m currently using a really random array of school supplies, which is driving me nuts. Also, don’t forget your textbooks!

7. Think about regional differences in electricity and water.

In some countries the water will be hard, meaning there are more minerals in it that can wreak havoc on your skin and hair. Also, outlets have different wattage and different plug holes, so bring adapters and converters. Try and leave the blow dryer at home, if you can. If you have an iPhone, having wifi connectivity is great because you can use the Internet ,iMessage, and various texting apps like Viber or WhatsApp to communicate with friends and family for free without incurring any data plans. Consider getting an international phone with your country’s SIM card.

8. Remember where you’re going.

This might seem obvious, but hear me out. Different countries and cities have different expectations for how you ought to dress, and while I am all for expression through fashion it’s important to remember where you’re going before you start packing. Are you going to a more conservative country like Morocco or Jordan? Leave the miniskirts at home. If you’re going to Rome, don’t even bother bringing high heels – twisting an ankle is not worth it, and the Italian girls don’t wear them to clubs. A friend of mine had to buy all new underwear (the granny panty brief kind) to go to South Africa, because in the homestay she would be living in they did her laundry for her and hung it on a drying line outside the house. 

9. Prioritize comfort.

Chances are you’ll be walking a lot. It’s the fastest way to learn the streets of a new city, and it’s free. Bring comfortable walking shoes, clothes that are comfortable to walk in, and don’t forget things like sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, hair ties, bobby pins, and deodorant. All these things will ensure physical comfort in a brand new place. 

10. Start early!

The sooner you start thinking about all these things, the more things you’ll consider and the less you’ll find yourself thinking “aw, shoot” once you move into your new home. But don’t start too soon! I like to give myself 48 hours to pack, because if I start sooner I’ll start forgetting what I’ve already packed and it’ll stress me out that I can’t pack essential toiletries that I still need to keep out before I leave.  

Bonus tip: if you’re going somewhere where you may be traveling a lot outside the city or country (like in Europe), bring a set of travel-sized toiletries! Travel size can be hard to find in drugstores outside the U.S. I love the single use caplets of body wash that Sephora sells. And don’t forget travel-size luggage; a large suitcase won’t fit on many trains and buses. A medium size duffel is perfect. 

I hope these tips were helpful! If you’re thinking about heading abroad in the spring, print this article out and keep it handy for your upcoming packing adventure. You can keep up with the end of my adventure abroad on my blog, here.

Photo Source: brightfutura.com

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.