Studying Abroad: 10 People You’ll Meet In Your Study Abroad Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Study abroad is a pretty unique experience for everybody, but there are always certain types of people that you’ll encounter on your study abroad program. Maybe your new neighbor will be more than one type on this list, so read up for my advice on how to make the most of it!

1. The old pro. This kid’s been traveling the world since he was a kid, and subsequently he’s bored by pretty much everything that you’re excited to see for the first time. Want to take a picture with the Eiffel Tower? He’s eaten at the restaurant inside, and it was “whatever.” Curious to explore the Colosseum? He’ll wait outside; the tourists get on his nerves. He might be annoying when you want to do touristy things, but he also knows where to drink the best hot chocolate in London or where to buy the best leatherwear in Florence. Hit him up for recommendations before you travel!
  2. The terrified tourist. This girl has heard the horror stories of pickpocketing, thievery and general hooliganism that happens in major cities, and she believes the rumors. She has her money pouch stuffed down her shirt and wears her backpack backwards, and when you walk around her head darts in every direction to make sure she spots any incoming danger. While it’s tempting to shrug off her worrying, girlfriend’s got a good point: it’s important to stay safe while in a foreign country! Ask her to watch your bag while you use the restroom, and pick her for your walking-home buddy. She’s got all the emergency numbers you’ll ever need stored in her phone.
  3. The party girl/boy. This guy is away from home and ready to party. He’s always hungover in class and when he’s not talking about what he did last night, he’s talking about what he doesn’t remember doing last night. All of his conversations revolve around consuming alcohol, obtaining alcohol, or tossing up alcohol, but he’s always up for a good time and knows all the best bars and clubs. He might even be in with the locals! Or the local security.  
  4. The culture snob. This girl is a Classics, Art Histoy, or regional studies major and feels a more heightened appreciation for her new environment than the rest of her peers, or so she believes. She might get on your nerves when you’re not interested in understanding the cultural importance of the Lennon Wall or the significance of the Sistine Chapel ceiling in the context of the history of painting, but defer to her superiority when you’ve got a big exam coming up: she’ll teach you everything you need to know, and you’ll be a better dinner conversationalist for it.
  5. The long distance relationship. This girl has a boyfriend at home that she adores and can’t stop Skyping. You’ll overhear them in the hallway at 2AM and your Facebook news feed will blow up with their posts to each other, but when you need somebody to talk about guy issues with she’s the one. She’ll happily help you dissect your relationships and want to give you advice so you can be just as happy as she is. If you have a boyfriend at home too, she’ll be your best friend at clubs and parties by deflecting unwanted advances and dancing with you all night so neither of you have to dance alone.
  6. The club promoter. This girl met the creepy club promoter the first night out and now he calls her every weekend offering to set up limos and bottle service if she can get a big group together. She’ll spam your Facebook groups and messages with party bus sign-ups and will throw a fit if nobody wants to join her event, but she’s great when your whole program wants to go out together for one last hurrah. She’ll make sure you can cut the line at clubs and is always down for a fun night, the more extravagant the better.  
  7. The activist. This guy is here to see change happen and lights up at the opportunity to join in on protests or get involved in the community. His constant pressure to donate money to a cause or help out with a campaign can get exhausting, but if you want to see history in the making join him with a camera and watch the action happen. He’s informed about what’s going on in your new home and can provide insight about the people you’ll be living with and around. As a bonus, he’ll know exactly how to get you an absentee ballot if you happen to be abroad in an election year.
  8. The one with family nearby. This girl will be MIA from your group dinners and might spend weekends away at her relative’s country house, but chances are she and her family also know the best places to eat and drink and sightsee locally. Also, her family might take you out for dinner, which we all know is the best part of having parents come visit you at college!
  9. The photographer. This guy considers himself something of an amateur professional, whatever that means, and rarely comes out from behind his viewfinder. He takes gorgeous high-res photos of everything. Unfortunately, he’ll also be the one to capture you looking less than pretty on Sunday morning after a long weekend. Even though his camera in your face can get frustrating, especially since you know they’ll end up on his Facebook, he’ll also be the one to capture the moments you never want to forget on your trip. Plus, your tagged picture count will skyrocket.
  10. The high roller. This girl is taking an extended vacation and wants to spend it wearing lavish clothing, seeing exotic sights, eating rich food, and drinking pricey cocktails at swanky clubs. Keeping up with her is hard on your wallet and your soul, and you know that a high price tag doesn’t necessarily mean the best experience, but every once in awhile she’ll be doing something extraordinary that might be worth joining in on. Skydiving over the Alps? A dinner and dancing night in the canals of Amsterdam? A drink on every level of a five-story club in Barcelona? If you’re choosey, you can end up with some great stories.

Photo Source: Grindelwald Sports AG

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.