Spring Break in Los Angeles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

We all know the drill with Spring Break. Go somewhere beachy/tropical or perhaps to a winter wonderland to hit the slopes and celebrate the fact that you don’t have school for 10 blessed days.

Already Occidental students have some pretty cool plans. Hawaii, San Diego, Colorado, NYC, you name it! But the beauty of going to Oxy is that you really don’t need to go anywhere to have an awesome Spring Break! If you didn’t really get to making any travel plans here’s a list of great things you can do in Los Angeles over Spring Break.

Go to Hollywood
For most, Hollywood is too touristy, but why not just enjoy that fact. Head down to Hollywood and check out the Chinese Theater, Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum, and all the other crazy star-studded venues of Hollywood and just have fun being a tourist. Take crazy pictures. Strike up conversations with “fellow” tourists. Just have a good time. Most of these sites are reasonably priced or free. Also, if you explore there are some really amazing places to eat in the area. A personal favorite is Mel’s Diner.

Hit the theme parks
Because of LA’s celebrity as one of the biggest west coast cities it has attracted a lot of theme parks. You can hang with Mickey and ride Splash Mountain at Disneyland or take on the thrill-rides at Six Flags: Magic Mountain or Knotts Berry Farms or try the crazy movie-inspired rides at Universal Studios. Best part is that Oxy has discounted tickets for all these in the OSL!

Get your tan on at the local beaches…
LA is home to some great beaches. You can go walk the boardwalk at Venice or hit the pier at Santa Monica beach. You can have a great time at either, playing in the surf or checking out all the fun things that go on around these beaches.

Get your tan on in Malibu…
If you have a car and are looking for a day trip head over to Malibu! With great beaches, food and sites this is a great place to explore for a day. It’s also a hot spot for celebrity beach-goers. Who knows – maybe you’ll see Matthew McConaughey surfing?

Check out the parks in the city
There are some great parks in LA, which would be perfect for a picnic with your friends. The most famous of which is Griffith Park. It is the second largest park in California, typically known as the “Central Park” of LA. You can check out the Griffith Observatory or check out the old Los Angeles Zoo, or hike to the Hollywood sign or into the Santa Monica Mountains. It is a great way to experience the great outdoors, right in the middle of the city!

Explore the city
If none of these ideas have piqued your interests yet, that’s not a problem. There are so many things to do and see in the great city of Los Angeles. There’s something for every type of person. So just do a little research and instead of laying around at school for the week go on an adventure and seek out the amazing things Los Angeles has to offer that we have the opportunity to check out by virtue of going to school here. 

What are you doing for spring break 2012??

Photo Credits:
Chinese Theater- Heliophoto.net
Santa Monica PIer-http://www.ttdila.com
Venice Beach- WordPress.com
Theme Parks- freethemepark.com
Malibu Beach- metrolic.ocm
Griffith Park- visitingdc.com
C
over Image: treehugger.com
Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.