Freshman Experience 8: Revisiting!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Today is the last day that I have finals, and let me tell you, I am more than excited to get through my evening test and enjoy winter break! Residents in Newcomb Hall need to move out for winter housing, so as I’m typing this I’m looking around at what’s left of my belongings – they’re waiting to be packed in archive boxes and placed in the closet. That in itself is a task, but it cannot compare to what I have experienced this semester. In the middle of the academic semester I had shared some of my  “Mid-Semester Realizations” so I think now would be a perfect time to revisit them!

Number 1: As for joining a sorority, or “rushing”, that would have to wait for spring semester. I’m still stoked because it means another opportunity to meet tons of more people.

Number 2: The most important aspect of staying open-minded was to allow myself to explore different academic fields and take them into consideration. I came to college thinking that I wanted to major in Biology…or English, History, Kinesiology, and Political Science. Instead of constricting myself to one path, I kept the others in mind because there’s always the possibility that it just not be the right thing. However, this is no excuse to slack off. Have fun in exploring your interests, but be simultaneously disciplined.

Number 3: While I’m still developing my study habits in a new environment, now I know that my brain shuts down at 2 a.m. There are stories of people sleeping in the library and I totally believe that. The beginning of finals week was intense, as I have never seen the library that occupied before. I thought it was neat that the library staff set out bowls of snacks that the students happily picked through…that includes me! Though I have emphasized the mantra of staying healthy throughout the whole semester, it can be nice to munch on chips or Warheads while finishing up my research paper. One thing that I’m proud of is that this week has shown me how much that I have done these past months and that I should be happy with what I’ve accomplished. AND it motivated me to power through piles of studying and work that I needed to complete (NOTE: Do not overdo it please. You’re going to end up trying to squeeze things into your brain and it’ll thank you by not remembering much at all). There is no time for remnants of your senior year to remain in the first semester of college; you’re at the end, so finish by doing well on your exams! Not only will winter break be the only reason that you smile, but you’ll have more to smile about once you walk out of the classroom after attacking that monstrous test with all that you got. You made it!

Editor’s note: Congrats to all the first-years finishing up their first semester of college! It was quite the ride, right?

Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9314755@N04/3216165035/

How did you all get through your finals?

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.