End of the Year Relaxation Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

I cannot believe that there are only two weeks left in the semester, and as much as I would like to pretend that the next two weeks are going to be all fun, I know that that is absolutely not the case. Even so, I am going to make the next two weeks as stress free as possible for myself, and I would like to share some of my strategies with you!

Take Breaks – In high school I was also taught by the study center that I should not take breaks that were longer than 20 minutes, and that 10-minute breaks were optimal. This has never worked for me. When I go into a break thinking that it will only last for ten minutes it always ends up going for hours. Instead of wasting a ton of time, and feeling super guilty, I like to watch a forty-minute episode of one of my favorite shows – and get back to work right afterward.

Shower – I know this seems like a silly suggestion but I have definitely stayed cooped up in my room studying for days at a time only to realize that I hadn’t showered. Taking a hot shower can help you regroup!

Exercise – Like showering, exercising is relaxing and is a productive break. If you are really in a time crunch you can bring your books with you to the gym and study and get a natural endorphin rush in the process.

Give yourself a manicure. This may not seem like a productive idea at all – but whenever I am taking a test and my nails are painted I automatically feel happier. The 20 minutes (or 10 if you’re quick) that it takes to paint your nails will be well worth it when you feel totally relaxed during your final.

Stay hydrated/EAT – Food and water may seem like the least important things on your agenda, but all of the studying that you do will not be effective if you are hungry or dehydrated. It’s better to take a break and eat than to forget everything that you just studied because you had low blood sugar. 

How do you relax during this busy time of year?

Image credit: http://www.a-spiritual-journey-of-healing.com/cfs-relaxation.html

Hi! I'm a super busy sophomore at Occidental College. I'm a Spanish, Group Language (Chinese and Linguistics) double major.
Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.