Crafty Collegiette: Decorate Your Own iPhone Case

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Hello, devoted Her Campus readers and Crafting Collegiettes! Welcome to my first ever installment of Crafty Collegiette. I’m taking over this blogging segment from an actual crafter. Fun fact about me: no crafting skills at all. None. I was so bad in my high school sewing elective course that my guidance counselor, I kid you not, tried to switch me into the automotive iron welding class. I don’t know what that says about me, or what that says about the state of public school education today, but I digress. 

The point is, if you’re interested in crafting, but aren’t exactly Pinterest-inclined then this is the post for you! And without further ado, here is our first fun and totally easy craft:

The DIY iPhone Case

Here’s what you’ll need:

• a clear phone case
  • some card stock or other thick paper in the pattern/color of your choice
  • an xacto knife or pair of sharp scissors 
  • a writing utensil for tracing

There’s a good chance you’ll already have scissors and a writing utensil around your house. As for the clear phone case and card stock, I went to my local craft store and got these for $1.99 and $0.50, respectively. The cardstock I wanted was on sale and sold per sheet, and since 1 was all I needed, that was perfect for me. 

So here’s the streamlined, no mistakes version of how I made my hella cute and super cheap phone case. 

1. Trace your phone face down on the side of the cardstock that you want to show. 

2. Trace around the camera hole in your case – make sure it’s on the left side of your phone when it’s facing down. 

gotta make a hole for this thing

3. Carefully cut out what you’ve traced. 

here’s what your cardstock should look like — it’s cut in the shape of an iPhone

4. Then just pop it into your clear case and voila!

Not only did this cost me about a tenth of what I would have paid from Target (where I typically go for all my iPhone needs), but I am also free to change out the cardstock whenever I so desire. So if this tie-dye pattern is annoying me in a week, it’ll cost me a mere 50 cents to change it out. 

All in all, try out this simple crafting project if you’re looking for a cost-effective and simple way to create something you can actually use every day. And look out for my next Crafty Collegiette entry for more ideas on how to DIY your life and prove your high school guidance counselor wrong along the way. 

xoxo

Sarah