Basic Tips for Gift Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

There are two types of people in this world: People who excel at gift-giving and then those who, well, suck at it. Don’t blame yourself if you’re not as good at giving gifts as Leslie Knope!

It’s truly a rare art form. Maybe your heart is totally into the gift but you just aren’t crafty, creative, caring or thoughtful. Well, I mean, I’m sure you are all those things. Just not when it comes to gifting.

I consider myself both an excellent gift-giver and gift-receiver. Therefore I have come up with a few helpful tips to find the best gift your S.O./bestie/sibling/literally anyone ever.

Make it Personal

Jewelry is wonderful, really it is. I wear it all the time, as I’m sure most people do. I would appreciate any piece of jewelry I receive but you know what’s even better than getting a necklace? Getting a necklace that was picked specially for you! With Etsy around it is so easy to find personalized jewelry.

Some things to think about when looking for personalized gifts: initials, birthstone, state they were born in, favorite animal, favorite color, etc. The possibilties are endless! 

You don’t have to limit yourself to just jewelry either. Who doesn’t love a nice coffee mug or cute keychain?

Make It Hilarious

Do you have inside joke with the gift recipient? I sure bet you do, otherwise, why are you buying them a gift if you’ve never even laughed together??? Inside jokes make excellent gift inspirations. You could give them an item that is reminiscent of your hilarious joke. Or you could write it down on a coffee mug! (Man, I’m really pushing the coffee mugs today.

I do not have any examples of gifts in this style so you’ll just have to imagine it yourself. If I posted an example of a gift I gave with an inside joke, no one would understand. That is kind of the point of an inside joke. In case you didn’t know. So instead, enjoy this cute puppy wrapped in a tortilla. A puppy burrito, if you will. Haha, puppy burrito. Now puppy burrito can be our inside joke, dear reader! So if you ever need to get me gift, just remember: puppy burrito. Oh wait…please don’t give me an actual puppy burrito. That would be tragic.

Make It About Them

Most importantly, try to find a gift that proves you know and care about this person. Maybe they are an avid crocheter so you give them a book of crochet patterns to encourage their craft!

Or they are an incredible Harry Potter fan:

Or Game of Thrones is their jam:

Or perhaps they live and breathe Disney:

My point being you can never go wrong with a favorite book, TV show or movie. Assuming it is their favorite book, TV show or movie. Plus, Etsy has merchandise for even the most obscure of fandoms!

So remember, to give a great gift make it PHAT! Personal, Hilarious and About Them, that is.

I promise if you follow my advice you will be known as the greatest gift-giver that ever lived, a money-back gurantee! You will overcome your gift recipient with guilt for not getting you such a cool gift!

And if that’s not the goal of gift-giving then I don’t know what is.

I am an aspiring blogger/instagrammer/vine star from sunny Southern California. I have a passion for crafting, crocheting and Disneyland!