Adjusting to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Living on the first floor of Newcomb is dangerous. No, we don’t have to brave the long, strenuous walk to upper campus, but we do have to brave hoards of campus tour groups. This morning when I went to throw out my trash I ran straight into a huge group of prospective students and their parents plus one Oxy tour guide. Later, after getting out of the shower, I walked out of the bathroom in a towel and right into the middle of another tour group. After overcoming my slight embarrassment at finding myself standing in a crowd of strangers in my towel, I started thinking about this time last year, when I was a senior in high school, and was anxiously waiting to hear back from most of the schools that I applied to.

This afternoon I met my O-team leader, and Theta sister, Claire, at the Green Bean to chat, and we ended up talking about our high schools. After talking to Claire, I continued even further on my trip down memory lane. The twelve months that have passed since I was in those prospective students’ shoes have been some of the most emotional, and life-changing months of my life. In August I left Minnesota, the only school I had ever attended, my friends, and my family, and moved 2,000 miles away to Oxy. To describe my first semester as rough would be an understatement. I struggled with making friends, being away from my family, an anxiety disorder, and with learning how to be an independent adult.

To say that I’m not struggling with those same things right now would be a lie, but I can say with complete certainty that things have improved for me, and I know that they will continue to improve. In looking back to a year ago today, I am amazed at how much my life as changed. In looking back, there are a few things that I wish I had known, and that I would like to share with any *incoming* freshman who might read this (these are things that I’m going to try and remember too).

1. Freshman year will not be perfect. Even students who have the time of their lives from the first moment they step on campus will have days when they just miss their life back home/mom/dad/brother/sister/cat/dog/bed. That’s okay – it’s normal!
  2. College is a time to explore. Learn, grow, and always believe in yourself. You will make mistakes, but so does everyone. One mistake is not the end of the world. Neither are two, or three, or four, or five hundred, for that matter.
  3. Get involved in activities on campus. But beyond being involved make an effort to get to know people. No one turns down a new friend, but sometimes it’s up to you to reach out first.
  4. Know that if you are unhappy with certain things (or everything) in your life that they will get better, but also know that YOU have to make proactive steps to change the things in your life that you don’t like.
  5. As my mom (and everyone else) has always told me: your fours years in college will be the best four years of your life. You will never be as free of responsibilities, have as many chances to have fun, have as much funding available to you, or be as young as you will be during college. Take advantage of that opportunity to do you have ever dreamed of. While doing all of those amazing things – always refer back to #1. Nothing will ever be perfect. You will have days, or weeks, or months when you really hate your life. Refer to #’s 2,3, and 4 to help LOVE your life again. 

How did you cope with the stress of freshman year? 

Image credit: Google Maps

Hi! I'm a super busy sophomore at Occidental College. I'm a Spanish, Group Language (Chinese and Linguistics) double major.
Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.