This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

In hopes of avoiding the freshman fifteen, I decided to become a vegetarian upon arrival to campus. After spending pretty much my entire life eating meat just because that’s what was put in front of me at the dinner table, I thought it would be pretty hard to just completely cut it out of my diet altogether. For the first three days, it was pretty difficult, but not for the reasons I expected. Originally, I feared that the cravings for meat was what would do me in; in reality, it was just having to rethink my diet that made it hard. Instead of going to the main food line, I forced myself to go to the vegetarian line every single time, completely taking meat out of my sight so that I wouldn’t accidentally ask for a piece of chicken with my spinach and carrots.

Slowly but surely, it became easy to cancel meat from my diet. I no longer planned my entire meal around what meat was being offered, and I even started to lose a little weight, even though that wasn’t my original goal. There were also noticeable perks to no longer eating meat; when I went out to eat, my meals were often cheaper and almost always healthier than those of my carnivorous friends. I felt healthier, I slept better, and my skin had a healthy glow that wasn’t there when I was eating meat.

For seven months, I remained a vegetarian, abstaining from eating any meat product, and it was great. But with one short trip out of the country during spring break, I broke the streak. I went to Ecuador for one of my classes, and for the first three days, I continued in my vegetarian ways. But on day four, someone made a mistake and a big plate of pork, rice, and potatoes was put in front of me, and it looked sooooo good. In a moment of weakness, I gave in. With one bite, I was a vegetarian no longer.

What I learned from being a vegetarian is that it isn’t as hard as one would think. As Americans, we think that eating meat is central to our diets; if we don’t eat meat during a meal, we’re missing out. I’m here to tell you, that’s simply not the case. Don’t believe me? Try going veg for a day, then a week, then a month, then a couple of months, and see how you feel. It’s worth a shot!

All images sourced from Pexels 

Emily Cort

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.