5 Common Courtesy Rules I Wish We Had In Lils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

The Jackson 5 said it best, RESPECT. It’s not hard to respect people, especially if someone’s coming to help you. At Big’s, there’s a lack of respect going on, so I think we all need to embrace 5 things to help be more respectful all around.

1. Don’t pull chairs up to the side of the tables

I’ve seen this happened so many times, and it always bothers me. I understand that sometimes there are big groups, but that’s why there are longer tables near the entrance. Pulling chairs up not only takes chairs away from other tables, it also blocks the way to the most important thing to college students: food. It makes others have to take detours, and overall isn’t very pleasing to deal with.

2. Wait for your food to be ready, don’t walk away

When you order food and it’s being made, it’ll come out in order, so when you walk away, it can mess up the whole order. I know that most of the time, you come back to your spot and everything works out, but I’ve also seen it where they serve the food and the person comes back to find that their own food is gone.

3. Leave the tables clean

Nothing is worse than finding that one open booth, and then seeing how disgusting it is. If you spill something, that’s fine, just wipe it with a napkin or ask someone who works at Lils for help. Also, please make sure to put your plates and silverware away, just to make it easier on those working there.

4.  Don’t block the way to food

College students only care about a few things, one of which is FOOD. Especially when you only have 10 minutes to hurry up and get food, nothing bothers people more than trying to get food, but not being able to reach those fries because two students are standing in front of the grill station for no reason.

5. Stop screaming

Lils is already really loud, so when you’re just trying to have a conversation with friends or trying to do homework, the last thing you want is to hear screams and yells from the table behind you. We don’t expect you to be silent, but we expect some respect from everyone there. 

All images sourced from Pexels

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.