clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s OK Not to Care About Leaving Oswego

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Perhaps, I am a tad cynical, but it is really OK not care about graduating from college and leaving it all behind. Does this mean that you shouldn’t be proud of your accomplishments? Certainly not. Each and every one of the individuals that will cross that stage Saturday, May 14, will have (hopefully) done their best in all the ways that they have lived, studied, and played in Oswego.

What I mean is this: as we approach graduation, the chances of seeing those mushy-gushy farewells to Oswego are all too likely. Everyone and their mother will ask you what you’ll miss the most and are you sad to be leaving college or something else along those lines. And I’m here to tell you that it’s alright to say that you simply don’t care about that type of stuff. It’s OK to be ready to leave it all behind and start fresh again somewhere, whether it be home or someplace new.

Not all experiences or people I’ve met are nice, but they are mine and I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world. Her Campus has been a fun and exciting experience that has allowed me to stretch my legs and spread my wings, so to speak. But now that I know the end of my time here is upon me, I don’t feel the need to dwell on every moment I’ve lived and every person I’ve met. There is no need for me to post #rememberOz16 or some silly nonsense all over my Facebook page. This chapter of my life is over and a new one is beginning, the same as every other graduating senior here.

It does not make you an insensitive person or a jerk for not caring about leaving Oswego, nor does it make you shallow or overly sensitive to deeply miss your school. Because, in the end, we’re not really leaving everything behind. Sure you and I will be starting again fresh somewhere, but Skype exists for a reason, and you can definitely find a way to enjoy the things that you did in college. But time moves forward and while those days are certainly numbered, it doesn’t mean that the coming days will be any less fun or exciting.

So I leave you with a saying from my mother: “The sun will always rise.” At the end of the day, no matter good or bad, a new day will begin again. Are you ready to face that new day?

I am currently I senior here at our fair SUNY Oswego! While I enjoy writing for Her Campus, I also participate as the managerial editor for the Great Lake Review, as a student manager(called a group leader) at the Mackin Dining Complex, and as a community service member for the Women's Honor Society, VEGA. My future is a bit of a mystery even to me, but I believe that I'll either pursue the life of a librarian or the life of a baker!