This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As students go back to school, there are those are just beginning their first years on a college campus. I am one of those people. I am a junior; however I am also a transfer. I went to Cayuga Community College for two years, received my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts, and now I am here at Oswego for Communication and Social Interaction.

Even though I am a junior, these first two weeks have been a huge transition period for me. I was majorly homesick. What first year student isn’t? I have never really been away from home for a long period of time, so I was calling my family every single day, wanting to go home. So I went home that first weekend, but only for the night. After that, I felt so much better. By doing this I was reassured that life was okay without me, and that no matter what my family would always be there for me. I also want to point out that it is okay to feel this way. Being homesick does not make you weak in any way. It actually makes you a person who knows they have something special, and that’s hard to just walk away from. You’ve lived with your family all your life, you’re not just expected to move to college and be perfectly fine.

My advice to those who are feeling homesick is to go home. It is okay, and it might even help you the way it helped me. Some other things I did to help me get over being homesick was going out and joining a club or two. That is a really good way of making friends. Another activity that I did was yoga. If you have never done yoga, you are missing it. I went to yoga by the lake that the fitness center put on and absolutely loved it. You leave feeling loose, relaxed, and all-around awesome.

Transitions are sometimes hard to handle. But this is college. You have to embrace this time because soon it will be gone and the real world of bills and jobs take over. 

“Wake up every morning with the thought that something wonderful is about to happen.”

I am a Junior at SUNY Oswego and am majoring in Communication and Social Interaction. My dream job is to work with students to help them figure out what they want to pursue a career in (Guidance Counselor, Addmissions Advisor). I am very shy, but once I get to know a person I am very caring and fun. Something that is very important in my life is my family. Family always comes first in my book. I am the second oldest of four daughters (yeah, my dad is the only male, poor guy). I hope to make friends here at Oswego (come one, come all) and to do really well in school. Deans list hopefully :)
I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.