Losing the Weight: Toning vs. Cardio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Eating right, cardio and toning are the best ways to help get your body into shape and to feel better about yourself. Personally, I enjoy cardio workouts more than toning just because I feel like I’m working harder at burning off calories and fat when I do my two hours of cardio on the elliptical. It’s also nice because I can see how many calories I am burning, how many miles I have gone and what my heart rate is. The machines also show you a little diagram to let you know if you are pushing your body hard enough, or too much, by displaying where your heart rate should fall. Pretty nifty, if you ask me.

Don’t get me wrong though, toning, or strength training, is just as important. Toning tightens your muscles to give you a smoother shape and it also helps remove pesky, unwanted inches. So if you are fine with the weight you are, but have a few places that need tightening, focus more on strength-training moves.

I have a free membership to the Alcoa gym where my dad works, but they are only open Monday through Friday. This means no weekend workouts, right? Wrong. On the weekends, I do the old school Tae-Bo tapes with Billy Blanks. When I did these, after a few weeks I could see my body slowly getting in the toned-shape and looking smoother. The tape I did was the Advanced Tae-Bo version, which is about an hour long. But if you’re into working out with a buddy, make sure you check out the group exercise classes available on campus through the fitness centers. (Which, by the way, is open seven days a week. Score!) There’s a schedule at the front desk, and each class has a description that tells you what each class focuses on so you can pick and choose what you like! All you have to do is figure out when you are free to start transforming that body!

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.