nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

College: The Best Four Years of Our Lives?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Is college really the best four years of our lives? I can’t see how it is. Of course, I’ve only lived 21 years, so I can’t say I’ve had a lot of life experience.

I suppose I can see why college is great: the freedom, no parents telling us what to do, etc. But, at the same time, college has its downfalls.

Piles of homework, work to pay for school, the stress of getting good grades. It just doesn’t seem like a glamorous life to me. Plus, we have to add in all of the outside activities that keep us busy (no, I’m not talking about drinking) like clubs.

The other day, I said, “I think the reason college was created was to make us miserable. Not to educate us.” I understand the importance of continuing my education and I am extremely blessed that I’m able to do so at a college like Oswego.

We work so hard in college, but many end up settling for a job like McDonald’s after we graduate because it’s hard to get a decent job. Add to that the stress of student loans and the search for a job better than McDonald’s. Life after college doesn’t look too stress-free. Maybe I’ll suck it up and stay in college forever.

Speaking of jobs. Many jobs expect us to have experience, but how can we gain any experience if no one will hire us? If anyone has the answer to that, feel free to share it with me.

I have spoken with people older than I am and have asked them if college was the best four years of their lives. Some (thankfully) give me a strange look and say, “Not even close.” There is hope!

The older folk in my family (many did not get the chance to go to college) say that the hard work will be worth it and pay off in the end. I can only hope that they are right. I’ve been told to listen to my elders, so I’ll keep that in mind as I sit here, trying to figure out how to begin my eight-page paper.

I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.