Brittany La’Ree Sperino Horsford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Name: Brittany La’Ree Sperino Horsford

Hometown: Oswego, N.Y.

Year: Senior

Age: 22

Zodiac Sign: Libra

Major: Creative Writing and Public Relations

Describe yourself in three words:

Imaginative, determined, empathetic

What is your favorite food?

Seafood! Shrimp everything, please and thank you. Also my parents met working at a seafood restaurant so I think that might have something to do with it as well.

What is your favorite quote?

“There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.” – Douglas Everett

What is your dream job?

If I’m dreaming, I’ll own my own PR agency that focuses on women’s fashion/beauty/entertainment PR. Also, there would be nothing “superficial” about my campaigns. I know it’s an industry that has a reputation for that. I love how women use clothing style choices, hairstyles, makeup, etc., as an outlet to express themselves. I don’t love how the industry objectifies and perpetuates unrealistic images of women that cause us to develop distorted images of ourselves. If anything, the campaigns I’d run would be about turning the fashion and beauty industry on its head, and finally representing who “real women” are (which varies infinitely), what they want and what they need.

What are you involved in on campus?

For a long time I served as an editor for the Great Lake Review, the SUNY Oswego literary magazine. This is my first semester not participating, as I plan to submit! I am a part of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), and had the wonderful opportunity to attend a PRSSA conference in Rochester, N.Y. Last semester I was a study abroad mentor with the Office of International Education, and this semester I’m working as an editorial intern for the Office of Alumni and Development.

Name one thing in your life that you can’t live without.

Relaxation/alone time. That seems like a really trivial thing, but it’s not. We’re living in an age where we always have to be on. I always have an assignment to work on, a project to finish, an application to fill out. There’s always someone blowing up my phone or an issue to be dealt with. I think because of this we lose ourselves and forget how important self-care is.

What is your favorite song and artist?

My favorite song of all time is an oldie. It’s “I Want You Back,” by the Jackson 5. It never fails to cheer me up.

My favorite music artist (as anyone who knows me can tell you) is Beyoncé. She’s an absolute powerhouse.

Who is your greatest inspiration?

My mother. As a writer, most of my writing centers around her. She’s my rock and she is absolutely the reason why I’ve been able to do so many amazing things with my life so far. She’s the reason I’ve take my education so seriously since the age of four. She’s the reason I got into SUNY Oswego with the presidential scholarship. She’s the reason I won a full-ride scholarsip to study abroad in London during the Fall 2013 semester. Yes, I’ve worked hard, but all of my drive can be credited back to her. She’s a working, single mom, and we don’t have the cushiest life. A lot of unfair things have been thrown her way, but she pushes on regardless, with a warm, open heart.

Hi, everyone!I'm Raven, a senior at SUNY Oswego majoring in English and minoring in both Biology and in Gender and Women's Studies.I am extremely passionate about feminism and about women's rights, and my dream is to one day be a writer, either in the capacity of a university or a non-profit organization--OR, of course the stereotypical English major's dream job: "author."I enjoy reading and writing, puzzles, film, watching sports (mostly football and tennis), and playing sports, as well. I have a large family from a rural town in the North Country, and I love my parents and five siblings dearly. I have a very kind, accepting (and handsome!) boyfriend, Craig, with whom I can share my other interests in the sciences, as well. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for the past couple of years, and I can gladly say that writing has helped me to cope. It's an amazing outlet, and I highly recommend it.