Your Parent and Family Weekend Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

That time of year has come around again. Falling leaves, pumpkin spice lattes and yoga pants can only mean one thing… Parent and Family Weekend! Okay, while most of you probably don’t care, those of you with families coming up may be panicking about what you’re going to do with them all weekend. Though some of the preplanned activities, such as a cooking class on tailgating appetizers, sound relatively fun, others… not so much (does anyone honestly want to spend an hour learning about the bus system?).  

In order to spare you of spending hours in a session about student debt, here is a list of five fun activities you can do with your families:

1. Take a Walk Around Campus

Okay, I know you most likely do this literally every single day, but it’s fall and our campus really is beautiful. Take them across the Oval, point out where some of your classes are, and maybe even take them to your favorite on campus spot for lunch. Your parents likely have no idea what your life in college is like, so they will probably love catching a glimpse of your day-to-day activities.

2. Visit Short North

The arts district of Columbus has so much to offer, including galleries, cute boutiques and fantastic restaurants. Unless you have a car, you most likely don’t get over there too often yourself, and it is definitely worth checking out! You can spend a day browsing around, enjoying the last nice weather of the year and eating Jeni’s.

3. Watch the Game

Though home games are normally more fun, you and your family can all watch it together and show off your school spirit! If you live off campus you could totally throw a family tailgate. If not, it’s always broadcasted at Woody’s, the Union and about a million restaurants on High Street.

4. Go to Cane’s

Okay, if your parents are anything like mine, I doubt they will understand the simplistic perfection that is chicken, fries, toast and Cane’s sauce. However, if they have access to your bank statements, they’re likely wondering why you spend a small fortune there each month.

5. Visit the Bookstore

Even though you probably already own five million items of Ohio State apparel, my personal opinion is that you can never have too much. Plus, your family probably has to pick up a few t-shirts for your sister, uncle, cousin, next-door neighbor and every other person they have ever met. 

Aurora Stromberg is a Senior at The Ohio State University pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication and minoring in professional writing. She has been a member of her chapter of Her Campus for two years and is so excited to be this year's HCOSU campus correspondent.  She loves all thinks Tiffany Blue and loves act and sing, but wishes she didn’t have two left feet so that she could dance, too! Aurora is also a member OSU chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America at Ohio State and dreams of running her own PR and event planning business someday.