This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

I wear lipstick almost everyday, no matter the shade or season (as seen above in my winter parka and scarf). I have been collecting the product for years and have a whole drawer to show for it. On days I don’t wear any other makeup on my face if I put on a lip color, I feel ready to face the day. After recently being asked, “why do you always wear lipstick?” by multiple people, I was inspired to write this article. My honest answer? Because I love the way I look, and above all, feel.

There is something magical about the confidence you get from slipping on those bold colors. You feel more put together, look like you know what you’re doing, and you feel like you can rule the world. Bold lipsticks are often given a “trying too hard” stereotype. I hate that. I have been known to wear anything from red to pink to brown to a purple that almost looks black, and it’s not for anyone but me. Yes you heard me, not for the guys, but for me. I’m not trying to impress anyone or catch anyone’s attention (but if it does, there is no harm in that). The beauty industry tends to twist makeup to be seen as something to cover up and hide your flaws with but it’s really about accentuating your beauty, no matter how much or how little product you use. It doesn’t mean you’re vain, it doesn’t mean you’re insecure; it’s merely about having fun and being yourself.

Makeup is an art form. Don’t believe me? Hop on over to Youtube and type in anything from Pop/Comic Art makeup to American Horror Story, Halloween, and Celebrity Transformation videos and tell me if you think differently. It’s all about experimenting and seeing what makes you feel best. You like more basic nude colors? Great. Find a red or bright purple that makes you feel like a boss? Perfect.

Every girl has the ability to swipe a color on her lips. It’s those who hesitate about what others will think are the ones who miss out on the bold, boss lady feeling. So the next time you see someone and think, “I wish I could pull that off”, stop wishing because you can! If YOU enjoy it, no one else’s opinion should matter but your own.

Julie is a Senior at The Ohio State University pursuing degrees in Fashion and Retail and Business. A lover of all things fashion from a young age, she loves having the chance to write the style blog for the site as well as being the chapter's President. When she is not writing, she loves singing in Ohio State's Women's Glee Club, updating her style blog, and online shopping when she should be doing homework. After graduation, Julie hopes to become a celebrity stylist or work in the fashion department of a magazine. Visit thelookinthemirror.blogspot.com for more from Julie.