This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

So, you’re a freshman, or a transfer student, or even a senior trying to boost your resume a little, and you want to be more involved on campus: Where do you start? Well, there are so many clubs, organizations, events, etc. constantly going on around campus that you can easily become apart of. When I was a transfer student, I was scared to death to attend anything new on campus. What if I wasn’t welcomed? What if I’m nothing like the rest of the people, or what if I just don’t know what to do? Well, three years later, I’m involved and loving it, but still wishing that shy transfer student would have put herself out a little more. One thing I can promise you, is that you will fit in somewhere on this campus, and probably a lot more places than you think. Here is my best advice on putting yourself out there– campus edition. 

1. We Don’t Bite

Contrary to popular belief, (almost) everyone on this campus is nice and welcoming. Every club or organization wants more people and wants more help. They don’t care what your major is, what color your skin is, or what you wear. If you’re committed to being involved and being apart of their organization, you’re in. ***Disclaimer: Jimmy Fallon will not be welcoming you.

2. Just Show Up

When I first began my search for clubs to join, a lot of their websites would say “How to Join: Show up to our meetings on Mondays at 6pm” and my heart would drop. What? I have to just show up to this meeting with strangers? By myself? My social anxiety wasn’t having it. So 99% of the time, I was only showing interest in groups that I could email someone first and then go from there. Don’t do this, please. You will regret it. I promise everyone at that meeting will welcome you with open arms, and there will also probably be 10 other people there who are showing up for the first time, feeling the same way you do. You might even make a new friend, or two. 

3. Join With Friends

In the case that you absolutely cannot go to that meeting with strangers alone, bring a friend! Nothing is better than getting involved with your besties.

4. You Don’t Have to Study Dance to Join the Dance Club

A lot of people assume that if you’re not in a major similar to the club, that you can’t join, but this is false! (most of the time). Now, as a journalism and fashion major, I’m not going to go try and join the science club (because it wouldn’t benefit them… at all), but I’m sure if I wanted to, they would let me! Just like we at Her Campus have people from an array of majors! If you danced growing up, but it’s not something you want to make a career out of, you can still continue it as an extra curricular activity. This goes for just about any other sport or hobby, as well. 

5. There is a Club for EVERYONE and EVERYTHING

Literally. We have a Horse Judging Team, a Dairy Challenge Team, Paws for a Cause, Ladies of Leadership. If you’re a democrat or republican, there’s a club for you. If you’re white, African American, or Latino, there’s a club for you. If you like dance, math, science, history, or any subject, there’s a club for you. There’s probably even a club for Pokémon Go. Figure out what you like to do, and GO JOIN. 

So, whether you’re #New2OSU or not, find your niche and go get involved!

OSU // Journalism // Fashion