Light It Up Blue For Autism Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Around the world on April 2 the world went blue. Buildings and monuments turned blue in honor of the 8th annual World Autism Awareness day. Autism is defined as a mental condition noticeable since early childhood. Those with Autism have difficulties in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and understanding abstract concepts.

Autism is a growing issue in the world, in America alone 1 in 68 people are affected. It is also statistically proven that 1 in 48 boys and 1 in 189 girls are diagnosed with Autism. Autism is thought to occur due to genetics but the cause is still largely unknown and is increasing rapidly worldwide. The biggest organization to help spread awareness about this disorder is Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks is one of the largest organizations in the United States working towards awareness and research to find the best treatment, and one day a cure.

Ohio State’s Greek Row and Ohio State’s student organization Autism Speaks U also joined in on “light it up blue.” The Greek houses, located on/near 15th avenue, displayed blue lights outside their houses while Autism Speaks U held a ceremony to “Light it up Blue” at sunset at Ohio States RPAC.

Autism Speaks is also the national philanthropy organization for Alpha Xi Delta. The Psi Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta at The Ohio State will be hosting Grilling with the Xi’s on April 18th fron 4 p.m.-3 a.m. at Wexner Plaza. 

Hello my name is Adriane Swetland, I'm a Sophomore at The Ohio State University studying Journalism and English Education. I'm from Sparta, Ohio, but I've never felt more at home than I do at OSU aka the greatest University in the world!