Jenn Shafer: OSU’s PR Superstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Jenn Shafer

Year: Junior

Major: Strategic Communication

Minor: General Business

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio 

This week, OSU Her Campus got the chance to chat with president of the Ohio State chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America, Jenn Shafer! Check out what she had to say about the opportunities that being a member and president of PRSSA have provided and more!

Her Campus: How did you originally get involved with PRSSA?

Jenn Shafer: I got involved with PRSSA as a freshman when I heard about it on my first day of college and in my first class, a 600-person Intro to Communication lecture. I had the class with a friend, and we both just said why not? Maybe we would like it! We continued to go to meetings throughout the year together and then both decided to run for board. It’s crazy to think that if I had not gotten to class early and been paying attention that day, I may not be where I am!

HC: What do you love most about being president of PRSSA?

JS: I love that I get to meet so many people, and I even wish more people would talk to me after meetings! Being president also allows me to see every aspect of PRSSA and to really get involved in our chapter and also at the national level. I would love to be on the national committee next year, and I feel being president has helped prepare me for that.

HC: How has being a part of PRSSA influenced and inspired you since becoming a member? What would you tell others about PRSSA who are interested in a career in public relations?

JS: Honestly, I would not be where I am without PRSSA. I got my internships because of PRSSA, made some amazing connections and also some great friends. I’ve also loved connecting with people from other schools and seeing the passion when a bunch of PR people get together. I would tell people that if you are interested in PR or a related field at all, then PRSSA is a must. It is the connecting factor to you and the professional world. However, it is what you make of it, so if you don’t put in the effort, don’t expect things to fall into your lap.

HC: Do you think you will run again for president next year or continue as a board member?

JS: I am hoping to run for a national committee spot this year, and if I get elected I will not hold a position on the Ohio State board next year. However, if that falls through, I definitely plan to stay very involved, whether that is as president or another board position.

HC: What activities are you involved with besides PRSSA?

JS: On campus I am on the board for the Buckeyes for Ronald McDonald House, a club supporting the Columbus Ronald McDonald House by making meals at the house and volunteering at events. I also have an internship with an agency in Cincinnati and through that I work with Sony Pictures to promote movies on campus. I also participated in the Ford College Ambassador Challenge this past fall.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

JS: I still have a year to graduate, and I’m trying not to plan too much (which is very hard for me!). Of course, I hope to get a job, maybe in Columbus but also maybe not. I know my first job may not be my dream job, and that’s okay, because I still have my entire career to get there. I do want to take a few weeks after graduation to travel before I start working full-time, but other than that I have no set plans. It will be a surprise for everyone!

HC: What is your dream job?

JS: My dream job is actually to work at The Walt Disney Company! Not only because I love Disney movies, but also because they are one of the top brands in the world and I’ve been told that they create a much different work environment than many other companies.  

Aurora Stromberg is a Senior at The Ohio State University pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication and minoring in professional writing. She has been a member of her chapter of Her Campus for two years and is so excited to be this year's HCOSU campus correspondent.  She loves all thinks Tiffany Blue and loves act and sing, but wishes she didn’t have two left feet so that she could dance, too! Aurora is also a member OSU chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America at Ohio State and dreams of running her own PR and event planning business someday.