Experiencing Taylor Swift’s 1989: A Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you’ve been living under a rock the past week, I have wonderful news for you. Taylor Swift’s new album, 1989, is finally here! Swifities, we’ve been waiting a long two years for this and I think the general consensus is that the wait was well worth it. The release of a new Taylor album can be a bit overwhelming, so I’ve compiled instructions to guide you through the 1989 experience.

1.     Go to Target and buy the Target exclusive deluxe edition of 1989. You won’t regret the few extra dollars. It includes three bonus songs, all of which you’ll love, and three voice memos from Taylor on her songwriting process.

2.     Immediately open your album package when you get back to your car. In fact, you may want to start unwrapping the plastic on your walk to the car, so as not to delay the moment of gratification when you pop that baby into the CD player.

3.     CD is in; music is playing. Give yourself a moment to take it all in. Wow. Much Taylor. So pop.

4.     But don’t give yourself too long of a moment. It’s Polaroid time. Behold, your envelope enclosing 13 photos with lyrics. Every album has a set. So if you’re anything like my Taylor-loving friends and I, you can sit in your car and happy dance to each of your own pics, then switch and look at each others’ and relish all over again.

5.     Sit back, review Polaroids, album artwork, and welcome the rapture that is 1989. To clarify, yes, you’re still in the Target parking lot. If you think security has started watching your Taylor-freakout, maybe drive around and listen. That is if you think you can keep a level head while hearing this masterpiece for the first time.

6.     Go home and enter your special code into the 1989 Swiftstakes. She’s giving out 1,989 prizes (oh Taylor, so clever…) including tickets, meet and greets, and merchandise.

7.     Listen to voice memos, play album on loop until your roommates hate you (they just don’t get it), assign songs to boys in your life (not that anybody ever actually does that…), and bask in the magic of experiencing a new tswift album.