Campus Celebrity: Frankie Rimer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Frankie Rimer

Year: Sophomore

Major/Minor: Biology Major; Spanish Minor

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Hobbies: Running and volunteering with the Capital Area Humane Society

Frankie Rimer is a member of the OSU running club and an animal enthusiast. She balances the academic demands of a biology major on a pre-vet track with extracurriculars all while managing to keep her sunny disposition.

HC: Why did you decide to come to OSU?

FR: I came to Ohio State because it has everything. The diversity of both its programs and its people are what stood out to me the most when I was touring colleges. If you can think it, there’s probably already a club for it. I wanted a large university for its resources and academics but I loved the idea of finding a tight-knit group of friends like I had in high school. I knew I’d be able to find a group of people who shared my interests in one of the many student organizations at Ohio State.  

HC: What is your favorite part about OSU?

FR: My favorite part about Ohio State is definitely the community. I love watching Ohio State students of all different interests and backgrounds come together for things like BuckeyeThon and the involvement fair. Before coming to Ohio State, I never really payed much attention to college football but you never feel more like a part of the Ohio State community than in the student section on game day or running soaking wet and barefoot back to your dorm in the snow on Mirror Lake jump night. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

FR: This is my second year as a competitive member of Ohio State’s running club. I ran track and cross country in high school and knew that I wanted to continue to run in college. I compete with running club in cross country in the fall and track in the spring. Our club competes with both the running clubs of most large state schools across the country as well as with DIII and DII teams within Ohio. Everyone in running club is so supportive and encouraging to every member, whether they’re a competitive member or someone who just enjoys running to stay in shape. I feel so lucky to have found such an amazing group of people who share my love of running and a team I can call my family.

HC: What do you want to do when you grow up?

FR: Ever since I was little I’ve loved animals. I have five cats and one dog at home and each one has their own fascinating, quirky personality. I’ve always known I wanted to work with animals in some form. Coming into college I decided to pursue a biology major with plans to complete pre-veterinary coursework. This past summer, in order to get a better feel for what’s really involved in a veterinary medicine career, I worked as a veterinary assistant for an animal hospital in my hometown. I fell in love with my job and seeing the kind of work a vet does on a daily-basis reaffirmed my decision. Knowing that I love the job I’m working towards almost makes up for the Chemistry class I’m taking to get there. 

HC: What do you miss the most about home?

FR: I love my hometown of Cincinnati and I miss it a lot during the school year. I miss my parents and my furry, four-legged siblings the most. I also miss my favorite running spots at home. Every summer, my cross country teammates and I rotate through about 6 different parks, trails and bike paths that we meet at to run every morning. We run early to beat the heat and have a standing post-run coffee date every day of the summer. Even though it’s been two years since we’ve been on the same team we still meet every day for our summer morning runs which I miss so much during the school year.