Ballin’ on a Budget: 5 Free, Fun Things to Do on OSU Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Being a college student can be hard sometimes. There are midterms, boy drama, girl drama, the mystery that is doing your own laundry, cooking, and, to top it all off, the fact that college students are basically permanently broke. You might think this is just one of those hokey stereotypes you see in the movie, but I kid you not when I say that the struggle is real. Having no money doesn’t mean you stop having fun, though! Rather than debating whether or not to use that 10 dollar bill you found tucked in your underwear drawer to buy Chipotle or a 12-pack of Natty, check out some free events on campus and save that money for a rainy day! All you need to bring is yourself and a smile to these amazing events.

1. Flicks for Free – I believe this is possibly one of the most underutilized events hosted at our very own Ohio Union! On several Wednesdays of the semester our amazing OUAB projects a movie for the viewing pleasure of Ohio State students on the first floor of the Union. Whether you are interested in a several-hour American Horror Story marathon or you just wanna cuddle up with your boo at a rom com, Flicks for Free has something for you! Did I mention they also provide free popcorn? Talk about a great date spot!
  2. RPAC Fitness Classes – If movies are not your cup of tea, head on over to the RPAC for some kick-butt work out classes! Multiple classes are offered every day of the week and appeal to people of many different interests or skill levels. I can personally vouch that the Cardio Kickboxing class is an amazing work-out and a fun time! There are several fast-paced dance classes and even some more serious full-body workouts available. With spring break fast approaching, hit up the RPAC for great work-outs to tone up that beach bod!
  3. OUAB Events – OUAB is at it again with some other great free events! All throughout the semester, OUAB works hard to bring some amazing talent to campus. In this past semester we had big names, such as hunky athlete Ryan Lochte, scientist Neil Degrasse Tyson, and, my personal favorite, Nev Schulman (Catfish is a guilty pleasure of mine). This semester looks like it holds a lot of promise, so grab your BuckID, get some tickets, and enjoy a fun night!
  4. Wexner Center – The Wex is also one of the many overlooked resources on OSU’s campus and I believe it should be no longer. If you’re looking for a more calm and cultured evening on campus, the Wex is the place to be. The Wex holds events ranging from hosting art exhibits of big name artists, such as an Annie Leibowitz, to movie screenings. Most events are free with your BuckID!
  5. Experience Columbus – Events are not just limited to the constraints of campus. There are free events going on outside of the campus walls every day in the great city of Columbus. I know sometimes it feels like Ohio State is in its own little bubble within Columbus, but if you stay within that bubble, you are truly missing out. ExperienceColumbus.com provides an extensive list of events being held off of campus and allows you to filter down to just the free ones! Whether you wish to attend a concert in the park, an art festival, or experience a different culture, Columbus has it all! Just use your BuckID to swipe onto the COTA and the possibilities are endless.

Now get out there and start having some fun!

Sophomore at The Ohio State University - Member of Alpha Chi Omega - PR Enthusiast