America’s Reaction to Publicized Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Social media has been abuzz as video evidence emerged this week of the night Baltimore Ravens’ running back Ray Rice assaulted his now wife Janay in an Atlantic City casino elevator on February 15. Originally, when the incident was reported, the NFL only issued a two-game suspension to the player, but this tape has caused a controversial range of opinions amongst the NFL, the fans, and any American with access to internet or cable television.

Although domestic violence is not an easy topic for discussion, many people sympathized with Janay while expressing their outrage at the NFL’s menial punishment of the player. Ray is depicted in the video striking Janay  during what is clearly an argument, but waiting to do so until bystanders are out of site. He shows little to no regard for her safety, a horrendous spectacle, and one that many wish that they had never seen.

However, other news platforms, like ‘Fox & Friends,’ mocked the situation by stating, “The message is, take the stairs.” Suggestion that domestic violence is allowable, as long as it goes unseen, establishes a dangerous precedent. In the past, reduction of domestic violence has led comedians and scriptwriters to depict violence in relationships through a humorous lens in media, when in reality, it’s a traumatizing experience. Victims of domestic violence need to be offered help, not made into punch lines.

The real issue surrounding Ray’s assault of Janay is not the fact that she remained in the relationship with him, as a grown woman she is entitled to decide the company she keeps even if it puts her life in danger. Instead it is the blame that has been placed on her. Janay’s presence in the relationship does not mean the assault was her fault, victims of abuse rarely leave their attacker without external interference in the relationship, it means she needs the support and sympathy of women everywhere that she is not alone in her struggle.

To get help for you or a friend facing an abusive relationship contact: 24 Hour Crisis Information Line
 (614) 224-HOME [4663]

Images courtesy of: TMZ Sports, Business Insider, azcentral.com

OSU Strategic Communication-General Business. PRSSA. Her Campus. STEP. Clairee Belcher and Tina Fey are my spirit animals. kaitlinbradley.weebly.com https://twitter.com/KateBradley26 http://www.pinterest.com/speedbee2612/