10 Ways to Survive Your 21st Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s no secret that your 21st birthday is a rite of passage into the world of official adulthood. Going out with your friends is the greatest way to celebrate the big 2-1, as well as the free celebratory drinks that your friends buy for you. As much fun as your birthday can be, there are some things every girl needs to know in order to survive her 21st and do it the right way! 

1. Eat before AND after you drink

On an empty stomach, it is easy for alcohol to catch up to you and, before you know it, you’re stumbling around screaming for your friends. The easiest way to avoid the buzz sneaking up on you is to eat throughout the day and a couple hours before you go out. Pasta is a great meal to start the night off with as the carbs will be your best friend once the shots start flowing. It has also been said that grilled cheese or something with dairy (unless you’re lactose intolerant) is beneficial because the dairy lines your stomach and neutralizes all the acids you’ll be taking in later. It is also common for college students to indulge in “drunk food” at the end of the night and there’s nothing like a piece of pizza to finish off the night and give your stomach something to settle on other than alcohol!

2. Clear your schedule for the next day

Most of us know what a hangover is like, and for those of you who don’t, count your blessings. The best way to deal with your 21st birthday is to make sure you don’t have a busy schedule the next day. The last thing you’re going to want to do is volunteer at your charity, go to the library or clean your room when the whole world is spinning. Getting ahead of your homework for the week or doing it the day before rather than the day of can make sure you have a calm day the day after your celebration.

3. Have a designated friend to cut you off 

It’s easy to get carried away when so many people are handing you shots or buying you drinks, but it’s important to have a friend you trust there to say when enough is enough. Once your judgment gets clouded and things start to spin, you’ll be happy to have her there to tell your crew that you’ve had enough for the night.

4. DRINK WATER!

This point cannot be stressed enough! The cure to a hangover is to remain hydrated, and there’s no better way to do that than to have a cup of water with you at all times. Though it can get annoying and people may hassle you about it, you’ll be thanking yourself in the morning when you don’t have a slamming headache. Drinking a cup of water every half hour or so is a great way to stay hydrated throughout the night and to make sure you don’t get too drunk too quickly. We all know that can be a recipe for disaster!

5. Set a personal limit

Before you go out, it’s a smart idea to make a personal limit for yourself for the amount of shots you want to take or the number of beers you want to drink. Doing this can help you not get sick later in the night and will ensure it’s a happy night for everyone. Once you reach that limit, your friends can be there for you to help enforce it.

6. Keep track of the amount you drink

It is always a good idea to keep track of the amount you’re drinking, but it’s especially important when surviving your 21st. Keeping a pen or Sharpie marker handy can ensure you stick to your limit. You simply mark a tally on your hand or wrist for every shot or beer and you’ll be able to tell when you’ve had enough more quickly than if you weren’t keeping track. When most people realize they’ve had too much, it is usually too late. By tallying your drinks, you can stay ahead and ensure you don’t drink too much.

7. DO NOT wear heels

For those of you who need your pair of heels on at all times, your 21st birthday may be the best day to leave them at home and swap them out for a cute pair of flats. Although heels are always hot and can complete an outfit, they won’t be cute when you trip and fall. No one wants to be THAT girl. On top of the possibility of tripping and falling, your feet will start to ache as the night goes on and holding your heels as you walk around the bar barefoot is definitely not a good idea. Take our advice and wear flats or a cute pair of flat boots–you’ll thank yourself later.

8. Have someone hold onto your phone

We have all done it. Everyone is guilty of texting or calling someone when we probably shouldn’t. On your 21st birthday, it is definitly a smart idea to have one of your trusted friends hold onto your phone for you. No one wants to text her ex or the guy she’s been crushing on and regret it later. You don’t really want to call mom and dad, either. As much as they love you, it’s doubtful they woud appreciate a phone call in the middle of the night. Having a friend hold your phone and only give it to you when you’re sober or in emergencies is an easy way to prevent any regrets. Let someone else be in charge of taking pictures and sending them to you later or uploading them onto Facebook.

9. Take Advil and/or vitamins with a tall glass of water before bed

Before going to bed, it’s important to make sure you’re hydrated. Hangovers and headaches in the morning are caused by your body being dehydrated, and the best way to prevent that is to drink a tall glass of water before bed. Along with your water, it doesn’t hurt to take some Advil as a precaution and vitamins can help to replenish nutrients that your body is depeleted of from drinking all night. 

10. HAVE FUN! 

Make sure to have a good time at your celebration! You’re finally legal to drink and to go out with your best friends. There’s nothing like a crying girl to buzzkill the fun. Try not to get caught up in drama and focus on the positives of the night; you’re with your friends and it’s your birthda–what could be better? Enjoy the night and the memories being made because you don’t want to look back on your 21st birthday and only remember the drama.