Why You, as a Woman, Will Always Need Feminism, Despite What You Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In light of recent events, primarily the inauguration of Tweeter-in-Chief Donald Trump, and the women’s marches all across the nation, and globe, in response to Trump’s swearing in, there has been a large, unnecessary debate about the ‘new wave’ of 21st century feminism—and do we, as women, actually need it (feminism). The answer is yes. The answer is always yes. 

First of all, so there is no arguments sake, there is no such thing as this ‘new’ form of feminism. Time and time again, you see the same, ‘give me a cookie’ girls on Facebook posting about how they “Don’t need this ‘new form’ of feminism that is all about being naked”, and making a blanketed statement about how feminism in the 20th century had real goals with real solutions, while current movements are only about nipples and hating men. Imagine missing the point that far.

New feminism is old feminism. Period. Early 20th century efforts centered around a womans’ right to vote. Since that right has finally been granted and bestowed upon all women, there has been a shift in the goals of the movement. Nevertheless, the umbrella of feminism can fit many different obstacles, and the overall messages haven’t changed. 

Naturally, as time goes on, new goals and challenges have been presented to the feminist movement. After American women of all races gained suffrage by the end of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960’s, feminist ideology began to focus on fair treatment in the work place, equal pay, and reproductive rights. These new goals at the turn of the century are still being fought for today.

The ideological shift has metaphorically given birth to new issues, new goals, and new challenges that are much more inclusive for both women and men, extends to the LGBTQIA community, as well as people of color, and other marginalized groups of people in the United States. However, despite these ‘new’ goals and challenges, the methods and tactics of fighting oppressive patriarchy, misogyny, sexism, and other problematic sentiments are relatively the same as they were during the suffrage movement almost a century ago. 

I feel as if the common reason for such misconception and dissent stems from the rhetoric that many fail to understand. They find it difficult to understand, nor sympathize with feminist who challenge rape culture by painting their bare breasts with slogans like “Not asking for it”. “Well if you walk around topless, what do you expect”? Anti-‘new’ feminism dissenters have a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept that protesting topless is in fact aiming at destroying rape culture, pointing out the fact that no matter how you dress, or lack thereof, you shouldn’t be subjected to rape and other forms of sexual violence. It is the same as holding a sign reading, “Being topless is not an excuse for rape”, except it gives off an even stronger message—see me, hear me—I am in your face.

I personally find it quite comical, admittedly, when women cite the fact that they can vote as a reason why they don’t need feminism. “I can vote. I won that right years ago. Stop complaining”. Unfortunately, believing that not being able to vote was and is the extent of a womans’ problems in modern American society, proves that you do, in fact, despite how many times your male counterparts would tell you otherwise, need feminism. A woman has the right to vote, but she doesn’t have the right to her own reproductive rights. A woman has the right to vote, but she doesn’t have the right to breast-feed in public, because its ‘indecent’. A woman has the right to vote, but she doesn’t have the right to wear ‘revealing clothing’ that she bought, because then she would be asking for it. There is so much more on the table. 

Turn of the century feminism has just recently begun to highlight issues that women of color face at a larger percentage than white women. Black and Hispanic women are now becoming forefront crusaders for feminist movements across the country, and within their own communities. It is important to note that the suffrage movement that pushed for the ratification of the 19th amendment was only open to white women at the time. In addition, many suffragettes held deeply troubling views on black suffrage, and some saw segregation as an admissible issue in comparison to gaining the right to vote for white women only.

The emergence of women of color in the feminist movement has pushed for black and Latina women to share the grievances of the women in their community, and brought to light the horrifying numbers of rape, incest, child molestation, and other forms of sexual violence that affect poor women of color at an exponentially higher rate than white women. Due to this fairly new-found concept of intersectionality that began not too long ago, the umbrella of feminism is able to include issues in the black community that do not only pertain to black women, such as disproportionate poverty, police brutality, stereotypical biases, and frequent violence against black trans-women, immigrant rights for Latinos, as well as defending acts to keep families together, and even extend to women of color in other countries, zoning in on sex trafficking, rape, and the right to an education.

It is crucial to note that feminism is about equality between the sexes, not one sex over another. For some strange reason, this interpretation of feminism seems to divide people right down the middle. “I’m not a feminist, but I believe men and women should be equal”. Congratulations, you’re a feminist.

Feminism aims to destroy narratives that make men and women two separate beings. Dismantling rape culture begins by noting the differences in the ways in which men and women are sexualized in both public and in private, and how sexism plays a huge part in the rates of sexual assault for men and women. It also notes that while men are not as often victims of rape as women, advocacy on their behalf, because it seems to be such a taboo subject, is vital.

The reproductive rights battle is one that has been fought long before Roe v. Wade, and is still being fought today. The fight isn’t for abortion, per say, but the right to protect laws that allow women to make the decisions for their body for themselves. Congress is predominately a cis-male presence—it’s a little creepy that they want to control this part of a woman so badly. 

The fight to keep PlannedParenthood, the organization that has helped over 2.5 million women gain access to contraceptive care, counseling, and other helpful methods to lead healthy lifestyles, has been under attack since the organization began over 100 years ago. Both men and women have a stake in the defunding of the organization, which predominately helps poor women of color. The myths of PlannedParenthood being an ‘abortion factory’, when abortions are only 3% of the organizations services, and are not even preformed most facilities, seek to harm women everywhere. Nevertheless, being pro-choice does not mean you are anti-life, in the way that being pro-life means that you are anti-choice. The organization has been smeared in the conservative media, and by religious groups, painting a picture that is problematic and untruthful. Standing with PlannedParenthood, whether you are a male or female, means you stand with the right to your own livelihood. And that should never be taken away.

There will always be people who simply just won’t get it. “How is the ‘Free the Nipple’ campaign feminism?”, “How does Amber Roses’ ‘Slut Walk’ help women in foreign countries who are restricted from gaining an education?”. Valid questions. The answers? Simple; feminism does not have to be one issue and one issue alone. The ‘Free the Nipple’ campaign, as explained by freethenipple.org, is aimed at “empowerment, and freedom of all human beings.Free the nipple has become a premiere voice for gender equality, utilizing all forms of modern media, to raise awareness and effect change on various social issues, and injustices” (freethenipple.org). Amber Roses’ annual ‘Slut Walk’, founded in Los Angeles, California, is all about female empowerment, destroying the sexist undertones surrounding the word ‘slut’ for women who enjoy sex, and sexual liberation. Rose has frequently explained her message to the media, believing that it is important for women to feel safe and comfortable expressing themselves sexually in the same way men do. In addition, the walk encourages rape victims who have been shamed by their assault to come forward and deconstruct sexist narratives that allowed their rapists to feel comfortable. 

If you, as a woman, truly believe that you do not need feminism in any of its forms, I encourage youto ask yourself what issues, beyond voting, have made women in general equal in society? You may not ever consider getting an abortion in your life, but to the victim of incest-rape, do you really think you could live with yourself if this right was taken from her, and you did nothing, as a woman, to stop it? You might never experience police brutality as a black woman or a black man in the United States, but does that mean that your privilege should make you blind to those struggles? You probably will never walk through the doors of PlannedParenthood, but does that mean that you shouldn’t be concerned when the doors of the organization are closed, leaving millions of women without access to affordable healthcare, because you have an OB/GYN in a ten-story glass building with a $10 co-pay?

You, as a woman, might not need a women’s’ march. You might not need pro-choice legislation. But some women do. Some women depend on the very rights that you may deem as unnecessary because they won’t ever directly affect you. It is important to remember that, no matter which side of the spectrum you stand on, someone needs the very thing that you are condemning. As a woman, the inability to put yourself in another woman’s’ shoes breeds a culture of sympathetic ignorance. Have a shred of compassion for your fellow woman, even if you cannot see yourself in her situation. 

So, you’re not a feminist. You believe you’re already equal in society in every way, shape, and form. I am here to tell you that you are not, the fight did not end with the 19th amendment, and just because you don’t face the same problems another woman faces, does not mean that you are not affected. When women are denied their rights to their own body, denied education, told they were ‘asking for it’, are shamed for sexual liberation, thrown out of public places for breast feeding—you, as a woman, are affected. 

Hellooooooo everyone!  First of all, if you read anything I write, you are golden, and I appreciate you! I am a 21 year old girl from San Diego, California. I am currently a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in Advertising, and graduating in June. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account