Why I Rushed as a Sophomore and Have No Regrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

That time of year always rolls around on campus when you can spot hundreds of girls traveling in packs from one place to the next and it can only mean one thing…fall recruitment.

I’ll be honest, before coming to college I was dead set on going through recruitment as a freshman. I thought it would be a great way to meet new people in a new place and give me an opportunity to just put myself out there. However during the summer as college slowly crept up on me, I began questioning if being in a sorority was for me or not. Will I fit in? Am I actually a “sorority girl”? Will I even find the right house for me?

By the time school was about to start, I decided not to go through recruitment.  I wanted to focus on the transition into college and on establishing myself in a new place, plus I could always rush the next year.

After a lot of thought, I decided to go through recruitment as a sophomore, but with an open mind. Last year, I had seen some of my friends have their heart set on one house, only to end up disappointed when they didn’t get the one they wanted. I was determined to not let that happen. If it didn’t work out, then I knew it wasn’t for me.

There is no way to describe the recruitment process other than the most crazy, busy, and exhausting week of your life. Looking back, recruitment helped ease my nerves of questioning if being in a sorority was for me. I learned that you don’t have to be a stereotypical sorority girl to be in a house. I met so many amazing girls who were each individuals and different in their own way. I also learned that you have to listen to yourself and make decisions based on the way you feel at each house. Also consider the vibes you get from the girls you talk to. Finally, when you do go in with an open mind and follow the way you feel, you will find the right house and fit for you.

I don’t regret my decision of rushing as a sophomore because it gave me a year to develop friendships, ease into college, and put more thought into if I wanted to rush. I couldn’t be happier with where my journey of recruitment has taken me. It led me to house full of genuine girls that I can grow and develop with through college and the rest of my life.

No regrets.

The official Her Campus Oregon account