The Stages of the Thanksgiving Food Coma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

You know that feeling of being so full from food but you can’t resist the taste so you keep stuffing your face? Well, we can all experience this feeling at the wonderful time of Thanksgiving. This is what we call the Thanksgiving food coma. 

Picture your friends and family all surrounded around a dinning room table ready to eat the appetizer round of the Thanksgiving meal. Your mother walks in with Artichoke dip and places it right in front of you. Then comes your favorite butternut squash soup, bacon wrapped dates, devilish eggs, and spiced pecans. How can you only choose one? You can’t. So, you take a bite of each appetizer and start stage one of that Thanksgiving food coma.

Now here is the best part…the full blown Thanksgiving main meal! You start savoring over the turkey and stuffing smothered in gravy, the creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes, the crunchy bean green casserole, the sweet cornbread, the buttermilk rolls, and that amazing cranberry sauce. Things just got real. You dive in and enjoy all of the fulfilling recipes. Congrats, You have now entered stage two. 

Now you are so full you can’t even think about dessert. Wait…just kidding of course you think about dessert, it’s Thanksgiving! Out comes your favorite pumpkin pie, cherry cobbler, vanilla ice cream, apple crisp pie, pumpkin cannolis, and bread pudding. Maybe you don’t eat all six desserts, but you of course eat at least three. At least. Welcome to stage three of the Thanksgiving food coma.

The Thanksgiving meal is over and you are completely overly satisfied! There’s nothing like being in a food coma on Thanksgiving. Oh, and don’t forget going back for leftovers ….that’s stage four. Enjoy! 

Kara Fagan is currently a sophomore at the University of Oregon, where she is studying the field of journalism. Even though she is greatly driven to do well in academics, she also enjoys many other activities that college life has to offer. You can find her going out to eat at Qdoba with friends, curled up in sweats watching Netflix, or even joining events that her sorority, Alpha Phi, sets up. If you want to find out more about Kara, follow her on Instagram (@fagan_kara)!
The official Her Campus Oregon account