This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Recommended Class: Women’s Self Defense (PEMA 116)

Originally, my roommate and I decided to take this class to have an excuse to get us to the gym and get a few extra credits (mind you, the class is 2 credits).  However, since I have been in this class for the past four weeks, I am starting to wonder why this class isn’t mandatory. Not only do you learn how to physically defend yourself in various different situations, but you also learn how to stand up for yourself and feel more confident. As cliché as that may seem, I do genuinely feel so much more confident than I ever have before. 

(photo by redd-angelo on unsplash)

The class is broken up into two parts, physical self-defense (Monday and Wednesday) and verbal self-defense (Friday). On the very first day of class, our instructor Ryan explained to us why he started to learn Jiu Jitsu at such a young age and how it has since has changed his life. He taught us the basic ready stance, knee jabs, face slap, elbow jabs, ear slaps, and eye gouge. The eye gouge is one of my personal favorites, especially since my nails are always long, polished, and ready to do some damage. Not only do we learn about basic self-defense, such as if someone approached you on the side of the street, but also if we are in a situation of sexual assault. Living on a college campus, those techniques are so important to know.

As ridiculous as it may sound, in the verbal self-defense we learn how to say “no”. Think about the last time you were in an uncomfortable situation with a boy, whether he was asking for your number or if you wanted to go up to his room. The most common response would be, “no, I’m sorry I have a boyfriend,” or “I’m sorry, I would, but…”. Why can’t we just flat-out say “no”? You don’t need an explanation to turn someone down. We also read articles about how to walk home alone and what our body language says about ourselves. 

After only four weeks of this class, I am no longer afraid to walk down the street by myself or tell someone how I really feel. I have more confidence than I ever have before, and I wish for all women to feel the way I do since taking this course. I highly recommend it.

If you’re interested: North West Martial Arts in Eugene hosts a free women’s Jiu Jitsu self-defense class from 2pm-4pm every Saturday.

The official Her Campus Oregon account