This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Move over Emerald! Pantone Color Institute announced last month that the 2014 color of the year is Radiant Orchid. For ten years, Pantone has been announcing their color choices of the year.  From 2012’s “Tangerine Tango” to last year’s “Emerald”, each different color sets the tone for the entire year while inspiring and influencing many consumers, designers, retailers and products nationwide. Many fashion designers, makeup companies, home good stores, and retail stores will incorporate Radiant Orchid into their designs this year.

Pantone describes Radiant Orchid as, “An invitation to innovation, modern and versatile Radiant Orchid encourages creativity and originality. Imbued with a harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and its rosy undertones emanate great joy, love and health.”(Pantone)

Radiant Orchid is the perfect uplifting color, and Her Campus Oregon is here to give you some tips and suggestions on how to incorporate Radiant Orchid into your everyday life.

Nails- One of the easiest ways to incorporate this girly hue into your makeup routine this year. These dreamy purple hues will help your nails shine during the rainy winter season. So pretty! Try Butter London’s Molly-Coddled ($18) or L’Oreal Paris’s Royalty Reinvented ($6)

Lips- Feeling extra daring? Playing up lavender and violent hues on the lips is one of my favorite trends of the season. It may sound strange but these hues will accentuate your natural lip color and make your makeup stand out. Try Yves Saint Laurent’s in 108 Violine Out of Control ($34) or Revlon’s Darling ($8).

Eyeliner- Give your black eyeliner a rest and try a pop of Radiant Orchid along your top lash line for an extra flirty feminine look. Try Urban Decay’s Asphyxia ( $19) or Laura Mercier’s Amethyst ($26).

Shoes– If American Apparel Nylon leggings in Radiant Orchid are not for you, trying a new color on your feet with these shoes will spruce up your entire outfit. The playful shoe picks are definitely collegeitte worthy! Try Converse Chuck Taylor Fresh Colors ($50) or Nine Wests Fury Pumps in pink suede ($60).

Accessories– From earrings, scarves, sunglasses, and socks, radiant orchid accessories will brighten any outfit. Try Urban Outfitter’s Confetti Stud Earrings ( $12) or TopShop’s Wanda Angular Sunglasses. Honorable Mention: Topshop’s Pigs with wings ankle socks ($6).

Tell us how you plan to incorporate Radiant Orchid into your style!

Rachel is a Junior at the University of Oregon studying Journalism, Advertising, and English. She is on the writing team for HCO. She aspires to become an editor of a fashion magazine, a food writer, or creative strategist at an advertising firm. Rachel has always loved the freedom of writing and loves all things creative, makeup, fashion, food and Art History. When not studying for school, she enjoys the beach, traveling, dancing, and eating Nutella.
The official Her Campus Oregon account