Elliot Moss: Out of the Indie Shadows and into the Light

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Amid all the indie surf pop of spring, Elliot Moss’ “Boomerang” shows that the sun doesn’t always bring warm beats. Their newest album, released April 28, is nothing less than ice-cold, thanks to its heavy synth and crescendos that will transport you. “Boomerang” is a hypnotic trance with modern edges.

The EP may only be the band’s second feat, but immediately with “Closedloop” they prove their place above indie darlings of their kind. With ephemerally cool lyrics like “the loop of the waves, crashing on my shore got stuck in my head, and never came out”, in addition to the increasing and crashing tempo, make for an unforgettable track. 

After gaining traction with their single “Slip” in 2015, listeners received “Highspeeds”, the group’s first, but nevertheless mature, album. Luckily, “Boomerang” is vastly more avant-garde than “Highspeeds” with as much urgency as there is artistry. Clocking in at a crisp 25 minutes and featuring seven songs, it’s a short album that starts high, mellows out, then raises in intensity again for a satisfying ending. While each track is on par with their hit “Slip”, sometimes the balance of electronic and singer-songwriter sounds is uneven.

Moss is not easily comparable to artists of today, but picture them as something like Sam Smith on a synth trip. It’s not hard to dive into Moss’s ominous tracks thanks to the album’s deeply human feel. “Closedloop” may be the star title track but others, like “Without the Lights” and “Falling Down and Getting Hurt,” are equally entrancing. Moss’ heartfelt lyrics fall smoothly under sharp, creeping beats that mirror that of the hip hop genre. 

“Boomerang” is available to stream online through Apple Music and Spotify. Check out their website: http://www.elliotmoss.com, to see their June 2017 tour dates and watch their latest video for “Without The Lights”.

The official Her Campus Oregon account