burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Carly Strutner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Name: Carly Strutner 

Year: Freshman

Major: Undeclared (and indecisive)

Hometown: Newport Beach, California

HCO: You recently won Tresemme’s #TRESonCampus contest with Teen Vogue to attend Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City in February. (So cool!) What can you tell me about that?

CS: The whole thing was pretty “spur of the moment.” I came across the contest towards the end of the submission process. I have entered some Teen Vogue contests before and won some pretty cool stuff, so I figured I would give it a shot. Basically all I had to do was have someone take a picture of me, featuring my hair and outfit, then upload it on Instagram with specific hashtags. The facilitators of the contest chose their top five photos and posted them on Teen Vogue’s official Instagram. Whoever got the most likes and comments won, and surprisingly I did!

Carly’s Submission Photo

HCO: What inspired you to apply for the contest?

CS: To be honest I am quite the procrastinator, so when I came across the advertisement for the contest while trying to study, I couldn’t resist! Plus, I love putting together looks that are a little more exaggerated than what I typically wear on days when I’m practically sprinting from class to class. This contest allowed me to rummage through my closet to find the perfect ensemble; my friend Isabelle even styled my hair.

HCO: What are your plans for fashion week? 

CS: I haven’t received my full itinerary from Teen Vogue yet, but I do know that I am going to a fashion show and I even get access backstage! I’ll get the opportunity to tour the new Teen Vogue offices at One World Trade Center, meet an editor, and get a $1,000 shopping spree. On top of all that I am allowed to bring a guest, so I’m taking my older sister. I have another sister who lives in New York, so my parents are flying out and we’re going to have a mini family vacation. It’s going to be pretty crazy, I really can’t wait. 

HCO: What are you most looking forward to about this experience?

CS: I’m really looking forward to meeting an editor! I’ve been reading and collecting Teen Vogue since I was little, and saw my older sisters reading it. I’ve always been intrigued by magazine editors and curious about what they actually do during a typical workday. I definitely need to bring some loaded questions with me, so I can pick their brain a little bit. 

HCO: Where do you get your fashion inspiration? 

CS: Instagram is my definite go-to. Although I love fashion blogs, Instagram is so much easier because you get a wide array of looks without having to switch back and forth between sites or scroll through tons of articles. I follow a lot of fashion bloggers and celebrities on Instagram because I like to get a sense of what’s going on in the high fashion world as well as what the it-girls are wearing in their daily lives. Some of my favorite bloggers I follow on Instagram are Julie Sariñana (@sincerelyjules) and Kate Brien (@viewfromthetopp). I’m also a huge Pinterest fanatic. It’s great for getting outfit inspiration, but I follow so many food boards I usually get more distracted by my hunger than inspired by the latest trends.

HCO: Who are your fashion idols?

CS: That’s such a difficult question! There are so many people I admire. I’d have to say my top three fashion idols are Gigi Hadid, Kiernan Shipka, and Nicola Peltz. They all have a laid back style that’s effortlessly cool, but when they hit the red carpet they’re always perfectly polished. 

HCO: What’s your go-to outfit?

CS: That depends. If I’m going to class I want to be comfortable, so I usually just throw on some LuLu Lemon leggings, a fleece, and my New Balances, which are coming back by the way so don’t judge. Or I’ll wear my teal and pink Nikes, which I’m obsessed with; they’re so comfortable and cute, plus they remind me to get to the gym. If it’s the weekend, I definitely dress up. I’m super in to statement necklaces, so I’ll usually pair one with a simple sweater or flannel, my favorite high-waited black jeans and booties. It’s so effortless, yet people assume you actually put in effort because the necklace dresses up the outfit.

HCO: How do you hope to pursue fashion in the future?

CS: I’m not entirely sure about that. I’m hoping to perfect my basic skills in college and take classes, like business and writing, which apply to almost any career. This past summer I had two internships, one at a startup clothing company and one at a fashion PR firm. Both were really different and helped me understand a little bit more about the various sides of the fashion industry. I love interning because it provides a new experience almost every time and you learn so much, so I’ll continue with that through college until I figure out exactly what it is I want to pursue as a full-time career.

For more fashion inspiration from Carly, visit her at @carlystrutner

Outfit: White tee: Madewell, Jacket: J Crew, Necklace: Anthropologie, Black High-Waisted Jeans: J brand

Photo Credit: Libby Bartley 

cincinnati raised -- go redlegs. spending this chapter of my life exploring the pacific northwest. inspired by laughter, adventure, unfamiliar things & spontaneity.university of oregon, class of 2016. journalism major always searching for new experiences. finding the unseen magic of the world through a camera lens.to see more of my work, visit my personal blog: https://libbybartley.wordpress.com/
The official Her Campus Oregon account