Campus Celeb: Taylor Wood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

This week’s campus celeb is Taylor Wood, a charismatic advertising student who likes to spend his time adventuring, keeping up with San Francisco’s sports teams, and living vicariously through Don Draper. 

Fast facts:

Name: Taylor Wood

Year: Junior

Hometown: Danville, CA

Major(s): Advertising, Cinema Studies

Job: Media Intern for SAA

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

TW: Bold, outgoing, loving.

HC: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

TW: If you don’t like what’s being said, change the conversation. 

HC: What are you involved with here on campus?

TW: On campus, I am involved with DuckTV, Allen Hall Studios, the Student Alumni Association, and Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity.

HC: What do you do in your internship with the Student Alumni Association?

TW: I, with other media interns, work to compose content for various social media platforms for the student body with information regarding philanthropy, students, and graduate alumnae. 

HC: What are you working on with Allen Hall Studios?

TW: It is a production class with Ed Madison, and we work on various projects.  This term we are working on a project called “Don’t Wait for the Quake.”  We received a $30,000 grant from the Oregon government to compose various videos, such as the science behind the big earthquake that’s coming to hit Portland, and safety precautions.  I’m on a team that did the science video.  These videos will be broadcast on Oregon Public Broadcasting, and at a public venue in Portland at the White Stag Building on November 17.

HC: What are your career aspirations?

TW: I hope to one day work for the San Francisco Giants or 49ers, in the field of advertising or social media.

HC: What made you interested in advertising?

TW: Honestly, after watching Mad Men, Don Draper is my inspiration.  Just kinda like what goes on behind the scenes.

HC: If you could live in any time period, which would you choose?

TW: Anywhere between the 1940s-60s.  

HC: Is that because of Mad Men?

TW: It’s just the whole era of Frank Sinatra, Mad Men, and the US as a nation really coming into itself as far civil rights.  I think it would have been a really interesting time to have been alive. 

HC: What is a fun fact about yourself?

TW: I collect coins and comic books.  I’m basically a nerd at heart.  My oldest coin is an eastern European coin dating back to the seventeenth century.  I also have the original four Wolverine comics, where he’s first introduced.

HC: What was it like being a transfer student?

TW: I transferred from Miami University in Ohio after my freshman year.  I was very nervous at first, I had a lot of trepidation, but after a term or two I really felt at home.  I got involved with many things and realized that I really love it here.  

HC: What has been your favorite experience at the University of Oregon so far?

TW:  It’s not at the U of O, but I went to the Rose Bowl last year.  I’d have to say that’s one of my favorite things.  It was my first year at school, going down with a couple friends, we went to Disneyland the two days before it, and I’d never been to the Rose Bowl before.  You know, being there, drinking beer on game day, walking there to the stadium, type thing. And we killed it, we won, so that’s amazing.

HC: What is your spirit animal?

TW: Honey badger.  Because honey badger don’t care.

HC: What are your hobbies?

TW: Cross-fit, hiking, running, training for marathons, adventuring, avid movie-going, and I dabble in photography.

HC: What advice do you have for someone looking to get involved with journalism at the University of Oregon?

TW: Just walk into the J school.  Talk to anyone.  Talk to teachers, talk to advisors, talk to people sitting in the lobby.  Anyone will be able to point you in the right direction.  We have an amazing network here with so many opportunities for success.  

You can follow Taylor on Twitter (@teewoo_94) or Instagram (@twood94).

The official Her Campus Oregon account