Beyond the Scope of the Coming-Out Drama: “Closet Monster”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With a plethora of grave adolescent struggles and surrealistic twists, “Closet Monster” freshens up the indie film scene, giving coming-of-age dramas a new standard. Surprisingly his debut feat, Stephen Dunn delivers a dark tale with as much creativity as practicality.

The aptly named protagonist Oscar Madly, played by Connor Jessup, not only grapples with the dirty separation of his parents and his homophobic dad at a formidable age, he even witnesses a disturbingly violent hate crime before the age of 10.  

While the film begins with a tamely sweet and atmospherically shot interaction between Oscar and his father, played by Aaron Abrams, Dunn doesn’t shy away from the macabre, not even within the first seven minutes.

When wide-eyed Oscar follows the school bullies and their victim to the cemetery, we think we’re in for stereotypical, childish gay-bashing. Instead of shoving and throwing around ‘homo,’ we see direct, dread-inducing brutality before lose our innocence along with young Oscar.

This theme surrounding the destruction of the body not only shapes Oscar’s character; it makes the narrative evermore pressing. Due to his decrepit mental state, his budding sexuality and escalating tension at home reach new warped heights.

Dunn captures Oscar’s modge-podge of emotions with a special kind of rawness. He not only understands a teenage mind overwhelmed with angst, but he conveys crumbling mental health so honestly that we feel everything Oscar does, regardless if we recognize why. Not surprising enough, Dunn credits his life growing up as a gay teenager among hate and prejudice as inspiration for the film.

Despite the dramatic troubles and frightening truths that drive “Closet Monster,” Dunn still makes sure to incorporate intriguing, eye-catching cinematic elements. Thanks to Oscar’s wildly comical talking hamster, voiced by Isabella Rossellini, and the film’s minimalist but colorful dream sequences, Dunn gives a taste of mysticism without overpowering the reality of Oscar’s situation.

The chaos of “Closest Monster’s” spirit illuminate how nonsensical, but crucial, our teenage years are. If looking back on your adolescence doesn’t make your head and gut swirl, you must not have grown much.

It’s rare for a film to make audiences laugh, cry and advert their eyes, so it’s no wonder “Closet Monster’s” already nabbed 10 awards internationally. Thanks to Dunn’s grasp of the monstrous emotions within us all, he delivers a truly rich gem.

The official Her Campus Oregon account