Back to School Mania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

September in Eugene is exciting! The city becomes more populated again as students return for the new school year, a new football season has begun, and the Duck Store is jam packed with kids looking for books and a new sweatshirt to keep warm as the crisp fall weather rolls in. While I have personally always put back-to-school month on my list of favorite things, (come on, you know you love the smell of new pencils too!) it has become increasingly more hectic with each new year. In college, there are so many things to think about from academics, to housing, to remembering how to manage your time again. That’s why I have decided to give all you collegiettes some tips on making your transition back to Track Town USA as easy as a summer day!

Recruit Help
Let me be frank. Moving is a pain. Putting together furniture takes hours and the first grocery shopping trip of the year is nothing short of an event. While I usually like to get things done myself, this year I was shameless in asking friends and family members help me out. And you know what? They were more than happy to come over and lend a hand. Were things still crazy? Yes. Did I almost lose my mind? Yes. But I have never laughed so hard or felt so close to the wonderful people in my life.

Dress for Success
I know, I know. It’s fall, and you’re DYING to wear your new boots. Believe me, so am I. But the first few weeks of school still have a little bit of summer lingering in them. And if you’re anything like me, you might misjudge how long it takes you to get to class, so you’re burning up in that cute new leather jacket you couldn’t wait to wear because you just had to speed walk to Spanish. My advice? Take these last few days of sunshine and run with them. Wear shorts. Rock that tank top. Put those knee high wool socks away until you can fully enjoy their coziness, instead of cursing them.

Don’t fall into the “syllabus week” trap
The first week of school is obviously not as stressful as midterms or finals. But that doesn’t mean you should kick back and read that biology chapter tomorrow. Stay on top of your work while it’s still light! Week one homework is the best because you can finish your reading, and rest easy knowing that that take home exam isn’t an issue in your life until week 9. And who knows? Maybe you’ll love that accomplished feeling so much that you’ll start reading ahead to week 2!

Just Do It!
That club you never got around to joining last year? That cute boy you never talked to, but who is still hanging around Starbucks? Still haven’t hiked Spencer’s Butte? Just do it. I like to think of September as a chance to make New Years Resolutions. Because isn’t that what it is? A new year? Getting on top of your goals now will kick start your year into being something amazing. Make a list of what you want to accomplish, and take it to your mirror. Wake up everyday, read it, smile, and go make it happen.

images from:
http://comerecommended.com/files/2011/08/430906272_b1f76e9ee6.jpg
http://www.shsu.edu/~edu_www/images/images/goals.jpg

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.