April: Sexual Assault Awareness Month and Easy Ways to Get Involved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness month and this issue is a very prevalent one to the University of Oregon. At the University of Oregon alone, sexual assault has a ratio of 1 to 5. SAMM (Sexual Assault Awareness Month) is a national organization that aims at organizations across America committed to raising awareness about sexual violence and to educate communities about how to prevent it.

Sexual violence is a major public health, human rights and violence issue that combats people around the world every day. In order to end this controversial issue, there needs to be an overall perspective about why it is wrong, steps to solve this problem, and actions in the future to make this not happen at the University of Oregon. Here are a couple ways to get involved in this issue in the community and on campus to help put a stop to sexual assault.

1. Wear the color teal.

Teal is the national color of support for sexual assault. If you want to show your support for survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and other forms of sexual violence then there is nothing better to do then rep the color teal in any way possible.

2. Make a pledge to Its On Us.

Make a pledge with the national campaign Its On Us, or specifically with the University of Oregon’s campus “Its On Ducks.” Its On Ducks means that the students of the University of Oregon are making a pledge to make a change in the community, make a change in the current culture, and put an end to the current norm of sexual assault on this campus.

3. Party Smart.     

If you go out with any of your friends this month, watch out for your friends. Stick with them, throughout the entire night. Make a plan before you go out. Set up checkpoints with your friends if you loose each other periodically throughout the night to make sure that you can find each other when it matters most.

4. Monitor the behavior of those around you.

Be cautious of people, friends or strangers, exhibiting strange behavior around you. Most rape victim survivors reveal the beginning signs of sexual assault to look out for are:

·      Intimidating Stares

·      Degrading jokes or jokes

·      Extreme possessiveness or jealously.

·      A history in violent behavior.

If you know someone who has personally suffered from sexual assault, be there for him or her. If you do not, be extremely conscious of the issue itself and be an active bystander.

My name is Chandler Baker, a senior at the University of Oregon. I am a public relations major and expect to graduate in June 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts from the School of Journalism and Communication. I am addicted to caffeine, concerts, and the outdoors.
The official Her Campus Oregon account