11 Singles Setting the New Year Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

1) “Name For You”: The Shins

Arguably at the epicenter of the indie rock scene, it’s no wonder The Shins’ single “Name for You” shines brightest among songs of its genre. With smooth hooks and a sweet folky feel that is just gooey enough, “Name For You” delivers nothing short of creeping anticipation for their 2017 album Heartworms. While the track is not too far off from other records like 2012’s Port of Morrow and even 2001’s Oh, Inverted World, the indie darlings are doing right by their alternative brand.  

Release Date: March 3

2) “What’s That Perfume You Wear”: Jens Lekman

The master lyricist and Sweden native created another decadent pop melody with his January 5th release “What’s That Perfume You Wear.” His voice is nectar; nearly as sweet as the perfume he sings about. Most of Lekman’s hits like “Your Arms Around Me” are ballad-esque with heavy chimes and strings, but his newest single and hopefully his 2017 album, Life Will See You Now, takes his audience somewhere dancier.

Release date: February 17

3) “You’re so Kool-Aid”: Oliver Wilde

Gravely and static filled, “You’re so Kool-Aid,” will make you wish you were as cool as Oliver Wilde makes Kool-Aid sound. With faded vocals combined with sharp beats and drawn out guitar riffs, Wilde launches listeners to a glitch galaxy. Thanks to Wilde’s intense and obscure party vibe, all we can expect from 2017’s Post Frenz Container Buzz is a textured, and effortlessly executed album.

Release date: February 17

4) “Don’t Yah Feel Better”: The Velvetines

Surf pop may have peaked in 2016, but with their happy, nearly cathartic record, The Velveteins give it a well deserved breath of life. Comparable to tracks from Kurt Vile and Foxygen, “Don’t Yah Feel Better,” has a spirit best played on a coastal California road trip. The indie band emerged a mere year ago, but thanks to their understanding of vibrant tunes, their album Slow Wave is destined for greatness.      

Release date: TBA

5) “Rine Husk (EP)”: Of Montreal

With the flashy release of Innocence Reaches and an equally garish tour in 2016, Of Montreal’s new EP feels rushed but nevertheless, appreciated. With Barnes’ elongated talk singing and choruses that entangle you in their harmonies, most of the EP could belong anywhere in their discography, but for most fans, that’s not a bad thing. It’s thanks to Barnes’ subtle ingenuity both with classic instruments and electronic manipulation, that Rine Husk finds a fresh but rightful spot in Of Montreal’s lengthy recording past.

Release date: January 12

6) “This Ole King”: WHY?

Through “This Ole King’s” stripped melodic singing, electronic warps and ephemeral overlays, WHY? is not adapting to the alternative scene, they’re paving the way. Since their 2003 EP The Early Whitney, WHY? has bent and morphed every genre into their own. With glitchy beats and classic touches, “This Ole King” reaches a lo-fi sweet spot. While many bands go too far into the technological hole, WHY?’s grasp of musicality makes for an pleasing, and modern experience. Luckily, WHY?’s 2017 tour for Moh Lhean will stop in Portland and Eugene’s WOW Hall Mar. 28.

Release date: March 3

7) “Not Cut Out for This”: Rubblebucket

With the dopest trumpet intro of the year, Rubblebucket’s electric single is the epitome of fun. The unconventional melody that decrescendos above a synthy beat, feels novel but dancy in all the right ways. Their 2016 single “If U C My Enemies” is equally empowering but with “Not Cut Out for This’” kooky delivery, Rubblebucket takes pop to an elevated level of cool.

Release date: January

8) “Strange or Be Forgotten”: Temples

What more could you want from an indie band that sounds like the 1960’s British Invasion in space? A perfect balance between retro and contemporary, “Strange or Be Forgotten” is a beautiful atmospheric blip. With only one album (2014’s Sun Structures) under their belt, Temples are already ahead of themselves, giving us a taste of their album Volcano with as much power as there is pep.  

Release date: March 3

9) “Little Bubble (edit)”: Dirty Projectors

Deeply honest and pure, The Dirty Projectors have recorded for the greater part of the decade, and it shows. As one of few artists who under automated, even robotic sounds, possesses a soul, it’s no wonder their extensive discography remains original. Literal bubble sounds mixed with steady pulses and light vibrations, makes for one of the most refreshing and mature singles of 2017.

Release Date: TBA

10) “Step Into The Darkness”: Said the Whale

Falling somewhere between indie rock and the singer-songwriter genre, Said The Whale, has amped up the pop as well as modernity with “Step Into The Darkness.” Their grasp of healing lyricism mixed with layered harmonies, makes for a track as celebratory as it is ominous. If Said The Whale’s 2017 album “As Long as Your Eyes Are Wide” expresses a message as jubilating as their tunes, then we can rejoice too.

Release date: March 31

11) “First Rain”: Teen Daze, S. Carey

Just because you might fall asleep to Teen Daze’s “First Rain,” doesn’t mean you will be bored. Fuzzy rain sounds, a simple keyboard melody, and tad of acoustic gives bedroom pop a northwestern spirit. Titled Themes For Dying Earth, Teen Daze’s 2017 fresh, dissonance filled album is inspired by the natural environment.

Release date: February 10

Follow this link to stream the playlist on Spotify:

The official Her Campus Oregon account