The Problem with Letting Boys Be Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Editor’s Note: All articles for Her Campus OR State are the opinions and beliefs of the writers and do not reflect Her Campus OR State, the Oregon State University or Her Campus as an international magazine

TW: The below article discusses incidences of sexual assault and violence.

On January 18th in the early hours of the morning Brock Turner raped an unconscious twenty-two year old woman and penetrated her with a foreign object. He was apprehended initially by two Stanford international students from Sweden, who stated that they intervened as they noticed that the woman appeared to be unconscious. Turner initially fled from the scene but the men restrained him until the police could apprehend him. He was later released the same day after posting bail. In the court case People v. Turner the Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky sentenced Turner to six months confinement in the Santa Clara County jail to be followed by three years of probation meaning with time served he only served three months. He was also ordered to register as a sex offender and participate in a sex offender rehabilitation program. Many like myself are outraged that Brock Turner served such a short sentence due to the actions of the judge, victim blaming that took place during the trial, statements made by Turner’s parents, and the distinct privilege that he holds as a heterosexual white rich male. That said, I’m going to stop giving any more credence to a rapist and instead bring it back to the victims [5].

Following the case there has been a campaign by California lawmakers to pass a rape bill inspired by the Stanford case. The bill has now gone to Democratic governor Jerry Brown for approval and would result in a closing of the loophole that allowed such a light sentence for a heinous crime that will continue to haunt the victim involved [2]. Prosecutors had suggested six years in jail and the judge made the decision to ignore that recommendation as it would have had “a severe impact” on Turner [4]. Since then, survivors of sexual assault have spoke out alongside reporters, politicians, celebrities, and their fellow students. In a video released by Bustle four sexual assault survivors speak out about their own experiences and the victim-blaming and other issues that have continued to plague them. They also discuss how the Brock Turner case made them feel and their lack of surprise at what took place during the trial and afterwards. I encourage you to listen to their stories and heed their call to take action and speak out about our flawed justice system and the culture that has led to such an injustice taking place [1].

Letting the concept of “boys will be boys” exist is not simply letting boys play with toys or be spoiled by their parents. It is setting up a culture where boys and men are not accountable for their actions and it is why people continue to be in disbelief of the victim in this case and numerous others. Listen to her story and remember that we cannot let such injustices keep happening because they are far too common. Below I have attached a letter that the victim (known as Emily Doe in court documents to protect her identity) read aloud in court discussing how her assault has severely impacted her (a statement which the judge involved had previously used to hand down a lenient sentence to Turner). I encourage you to read it and think about how you can help those around you who may have experienced sexual assault and what you can do to speak out.

If you or someone you know has experienced any type of interpersonal violence including sexual assault and is seeking resources then encourage them to call 541-737-2030 for safe and confidential support through the Survivor Advocacy and Resource Center or to visit them in 311 Plageman within the Student Health Services building. Various other services and programs are listed here as well including sexual assault nurse examiners, law enforcement agencies, the office of equity and inclusion, and training programs that are available to student organizations as well as faculty [3].

Sources: 1, 2, 3,4, 5

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly. 
Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.